Lets talk coffee

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I love Maccy D coffee but sadly live three quarters of an hour drive away from the nearest branch! I am sick of boring old instant coffee and wondered what you guys all drink and if you have a coffee machine of sorts would you recommend? I've tried a few different things - but never really gelled with any. Had one of those percolator thingies in the past but it's just not the same! Anybody had any wonderful revolutionary coffee gadgets?

I love instant coffee! BUT it has to be strong. Weak instant coffee is a waste of hot water. Have you tried Nescafe ALta Rica - it's my current favourite.
I am not sure I could be bothered with a coffee machine - it seems too technical(!). If I want "real" coffee I use a cafetiere. I have a bottle of hazlenut syrup too for when I fancy somehting a bit different.
I agree about the percolator btw - by the time it's finished faffing the coffee's cold.

Never instant, always start with whole beans and a grinder. INstant gives me a headache

I drink too much instant coffee - keep giving it up - and real coffee is only for treats and feasts. I used to buy beans, but I think the ground stuff you can buy these days is pretty good, and the old-fashioned pot with a plunger is still my favourite, no faffing about, you just push the plunger down when it's ready.

Not sure if I have tried the Nescafe Alta Rica blend? I sometimes wonder if my coffee is a bit lame because we only ever seem to have Longlife milk in the house! Maybe I should start buying fresh again...

Long Life milk is know as "dog's milk" in our house..:D :D from the Red Dwarf reference....lasts longer than any other kind of milk does dog's milk..... 'cos no bugger will drink it! :D :D

Long Life milk is know as "dog's milk" in our house..:D :D from the Red Dwarf reference....lasts longer than any other kind of milk does dog's milk..... 'cos no bugger will drink it! :D :D

:giggle: Well it started off when we got snowed in one year and I didn't think it was too bad.... starting to have doubts now!

Nothing beats proper Italian coffee. I started drinking coffee when I moved there, and stopped when I left. When in Rome and all that :happy: The first (and only) coffee I had in my next country, which was Portugal, I felt like a right traitor. I don't touch the stuff any more, but I know if I go back to Italy I'll start again right away :giggle:

Slightly OT but Mouse's colour is what the French call "cafe au lait", I love that!

I tend to just drink Instant, or whatevers on offer :redface:

I do however love a good proper strong fresh coffee ( Do they call it bean to cup nowadays!) I cant have more then a couple though as it makes my heart palpitate.

I had 3 large mugs of it at a toddler group recently rather then tea, I was just in the mood and need for a good coffee had been one of those mornings by the time I got there.

When I got in the car afterwards, I had to sit still for a few mins my heart was just racing !!:frown: That will teach me! Its the same with the energy drinks, I dont touch those ( and it scares me to see youngsters guzzling the stuff)

Tea dosent seem to affect me as much but if I have to many I can still feel the effects!

I love Maccy D coffee but sadly live three quarters of an hour drive away from the nearest branch! I am sick of boring old instant coffee and wondered what you guys all drink and if you have a coffee machine of sorts would you recommend? I've tried a few different things - but never really gelled with any. Had one of those percolator thingies in the past but it's just not the same! Anybody had any wonderful revolutionary coffee gadgets?

I love Mcdonalds Latte coffees! I dont have one near me either though sadly!

I am really tempted to get a new2me Tassimo or senseo for a little treat has anyone got one? Do they make nice drinks? The pods look so tempting!

One of my very lovely (and extremely generous!) friends gave me a Dolce Gusto coffee machine for my 40th birthday and I do love it very much, produces fantastic cappuccinos. However, the pods are expensive, cheaper than buying from Maccy D's of course but a lot more than instant so try to limit myself to one a day....

MacDonalds Latte for me too ! We have a MacDs about 5 minutes away by car (just a bit too far to walk) so we quite often pop down for a breakfast or lunch with my latte. Then we wonder why we're putting on weight.

I'm a bit of a coffee snob and rarely have instant, although have been drinking millicano recently. I have a cafetiere for the office and we have a cafetiere on a morning at home.. M and s does good coffee, although I only get it when on offer...We also have a tassimo machine which does a good coffee (and many other drinks) although it was trial and error with which pods we like.. We also have a hove top expresso pot too which is lovely but more time consuming. ..

Last edited:
Ah ha, well as I own and run my own cafe I feel quite comfortable with being a coffee snob! I loathe instant and will drink water rather than drip, cafetiere or percolator coffee. It's espresso all the way for me, ideally with a small amount of velvety steamed milk to make a Flat White.

If you want to make really good coffee at home Gaggia do a good little espresso machine, as do Dualit. These machines require you to grind the beans (or buy ground) and have control over the coffee as a barista does - fineness of grind, firmness of tamping and so on.

f you want Italian-quality coffee without the decision making process you could get a Nespresso machine. The pods are expensive, but decorative (I love the way they wibble in their boxes), they do very nice special flavours so you can save on the syrup, and people will always know what to get you for Christmas! Those little hand held whizzer gadgets ("Aerolatte") do a good job of frothing microwave-heated milk.

I am currently a bit obsessed with Nescafe Barrista coffee. It's instant but tastes like 'proper' stuff. Kind of a posh instant, really!

We only drink the real stuff here and we aren't very good at restricting ourselves either. We all like it strong with merely a dash of milk. Keep saying we are going to cut down, but nobody ever does!:biggrin:

I tend to just drink Instant, or whatevers on offer :redface:

I do however love a good proper strong fresh coffee ( Do they call it bean to cup nowadays!) I cant have more then a couple though as it makes my heart palpitate.

I had 3 large mugs of it at a toddler group recently rather then tea, I was just in the mood and need for a good coffee had been one of those mornings by the time I got there.

When I got in the car afterwards, I had to sit still for a few mins my heart was just racing !!:frown: That will teach me! Its the same with the energy drinks, I dont touch those ( and it scares me to see youngsters guzzling the stuff)

Tea dosent seem to affect me as much but if I have to many I can still feel the effects!

I suffer from heart palpitations too - gp said to cut down on caffeine and it has made a difference but I can still have about three cups a day without it bothering me. I also have to avoid aspartame for the same reason.

Ah ha, well as I own and run my own cafe I feel quite comfortable with being a coffee snob! I loathe instant and will drink water rather than drip, cafetiere or percolator coffee. It's espresso all the way for me, ideally with a small amount of velvety steamed milk to make a Flat White.

If you want to make really good coffee at home Gaggia do a good little espresso machine, as do Dualit. These machines require you to grind the beans (or buy ground) and have control over the coffee as a barista does - fineness of grind, firmness of tamping and so on.

f you want Italian-quality coffee without the decision making process you could get a Nespresso machine. The pods are expensive, but decorative (I love the way they wibble in their boxes), they do very nice special flavours so you can save on the syrup, and people will always know what to get you for Christmas! Those little hand held whizzer gadgets ("Aerolatte") do a good job of frothing microwave-heated milk.

Now I do envy you your lovely cafe! Bet the coffee smells divine....

newrider.com