Lets talk lice

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I can get rid of them normally without too much bother (just the bother of a bath) but why oh why does Hank get them every year and Jess never does? Just the amount of fur I guess. But where do they come from, can't be the straw bedding as they don't have any and Hank hasn't socialized physically with outside horses in over a year so not that. What can be done to prevent them? are there repellants? He always gets them this time of year and it's a pain if it's cold as when his coat gets wet he takes 6+ hours to dry so I normally end up clipping him but I'd rather not if I could avoid it.

I don’t have any ideas Jessey, never had experience of them personally, there was an old lady I was on my first yard who swore by diomecious earth. No idea if it works.

Reactions: Jessey
My cattle have got lice, started a couple of weeks ago. Some have got bald patches. I treated them at the weekend. The cows are out 24/7. Apparently if they are housed over winter they occur earlier as it's warmer in the shed. Not all the cattle are showing bald patches so I guess some haven't got them. I used noromectin pour on cattle wormer. But it covers lice treatment. My horses haven't got lice yet they are in adjacent pasture.

But how can you prevent them? or are they just like flies, not much you can do but deal with them when they appear?

Hank has a bald patch on his chest, normally the first sign he's itching and at this time of year it's normally lice, though I haven't actually seen any on him yet. I'll treat him as soon as there is a less windy and hopefully drier day.

I can't stop Ben stamping his back legs. He has had the mite injections which did nothing. I changed his bedding, I groom daily and have tried all the lotions and potions around. He just keeps doing it....

Legs stamping mp is more likely the mites. Lice is a different thing. I dont think you can stop it. Only treat at first signs.
Heres a pic I took this morning and last night of my bald cows. Theses haven't been treated and have gone like this in less than two weeks.

IMG_20190314_083643.jpgIMG_20190313_202528.jpg

newrider.com