Lib hay ? Opinions?

M

*MoneyTalks*

Hiya, well i was thinking what do you think of lib hay? atm y boys getting 2 section in the morning and at night and he eats it all, the owner of the yard is going on hay and we can pay £11 a week for 30lbs a day,, (but i have a hay rack so she wont be able to weight his night one :p hehex)

pros and cons (btw i would say atm my boy need too put a bit of weight on)

thanksss xxx

My 13.3 has 6 at night (started at 5 and went to 7 over winter) at night, and 5 during the day if they are in, she eats it all too, but has a bit of a crest!

Dobby has 5 in the day as flo does and up to 8 and munches it all (this is kg and lbs are 2.2 to the kg) at night and he is a 15.2

30lbs is roughly half of a small bale of hay.
Paying £11 per week for max 4 small bales of hay is equivalent of £2.75 a bale ... I dunno if that's a good price for where you are, doesn't seem to bad to me if it's good quality.

I would say that you're better off feeding more hay than concentrates, especially if the horse could do with putting a bit of weight on and/or the horse can be "fizzy". It'll also keep your horse busy, munchin' away :D

I am very much a believer in adlib hay and probably over feed but I cant stand to see a horse standing in with nothing, they are grazers and need constant forage :) My two always have a little left in their nets in the morning so I know they have had enough over night.

my small bales of hay that im using atm are 50lbs a bale (roughtly) :D
anymore advise,, and the pros and cons?

my small bales of hay that im using atm are 50lbs a bale (roughtly) :D
anymore advise,, and the pros and cons?

Ooh, I wasn't that far off then :D
Cons - finding/getting good quality hay, wastage, storage space required (compared to bagged feeds), being sure your horse is getting it's ration ...

well he is underweight slightly, so would lib hay be a good idea?
and pros?

pros - more 'natural' feed than concentrates, will put on weight without fizziness, will occupy the horse, trickle feeding with loads of fibre which is what a horse was designed to eat, :)

ETA : best thing about "ad lib" is that if there's too much, horse just won't eat all, that's a good indication

Am a little baffled as ive always understood 'ad lib' to mean as much as the horse can eat so limiting it to 30lbs a day isnt that. Although if that amount is more than u feed currently and would work out cost effective go for it!!:)

£11 per week is a fantastic price especially if he would benefit from ad lib hay but do bear in mind with spring/summer coming its better for him to be lightly more lean.

Just for comparison my hay is £4 per bale and go through almost a large bale a day - not ad lib as they need to lose a few pounds!

Am a little baffled as ive always understood 'ad lib' to mean as much as the horse can eat so limiting it to 30lbs a day isnt that. Although if that amount is more than u feed currently and would work out cost effective go for it!!:)

£11 per week is a fantastic price especially if he would benefit from ad lib hay but do bear in mind with spring/summer coming its better for him to be lightly more lean.

Just for comparison my hay is £4 per bale and go through almost a large bale a day - not ad lib as they need to lose a few pounds!

yeah but she doesnt give you that a day, you take what you want and it has too be that much and the owner will do spot cheaks, but she wouldnt be able too weight my night one because its in a height hay rack and you can't get it out lol, so would be lib hay at night,,,

My girl was on 28lbs ad lib haylage over winter and is finally a good weight she is still offered this amount but can never finish it anymore so I take that as indication she has plenty to eat. I have another that will continuously eat even when had enough so her I have to limit all feed.

im sorry but he is haveing 4 sections of hay in a haynet, 8 a day, do you expect me too give him anymore, im nearly getting through 1 a day!

Sorry but I'm a bit confused now - this was your post on the 9th of February. Have your yard halved the amount of hay your horse is getting? Ad lib hay means just that - as much as he wants to eat. If you have halved his quantity in a fortnight no wonder he is eating it all - and needs a bit of weight on.

newrider.com