Libbys New RS-Tor..What Do You Think?

Am I being really stupid, I watched the video and still don't get how it works :confused: is it basically just something to hang onto when you tip out of the saddle? Do you automatically clench your fists when the horse spooks? My instinct would probably be to grab the horse so not sure whether I'd keep hold of the doofer??

My instinct is to hit the ejector button and roll so I don't know how good it would be for me. That video just made me think 'yeah, but you knew he was going to spook!!!! If only we had that sort of preparation time.

I can see how it might stop you landing on your head in the event of an unplanned dismount but dont see the advantage over a flash strap attached in the same place.

I sometimes have trouble dismounting (age & creakiness) and hold the opposite stirrup leather to prevent me falling back on landing so this could do the same job.

I must look up the patent - £40:eek:

Slightly OT but I don't think the man in the video had anything like enough of a steady independent hand for the bit he was using - there was an awful lot of pulling on the curb rein even without the spooking!

Just thought it looked like yet another something to be held... double reins (double-check), dressage whip/crop (check) - RS-Tor (check). I'm old before my time and totally out of date but what happend to monkey grip or neck strap - surely less of a futter?

Back in your box, Hags.

I don't like them, I think it's another thing to have to think about as Hags said, I also think some people may rely on them instead of aiming for an independant seat and hands.

The man in the video is a shocking rider and the horse is a saint.

I think it's just another gimmick to get money out of horsey people.

I'm a bit sceptical, the adverts in the mags are a bit misleading by using a girl that by all accounts can't ride :(

I think there are cheaper options, but I think the usp with this is that you're supposed to hold onto it all the time you're riding....:eek:

And learning to walk before you can run so to speak would be a good move...

I notice comments have been disabled ;)

Last edited:
I guess I just don't really understand the point? If you're that unstable, should you be jumping or cantering? Not sure it would stop me falling off tbh.

N

I never used a neck-strap on my older horse (who is incredibly spooky) but for my youngster I put a soft leadrope round his neck, tied a knot, leaving about 4 inches at the end which I triggerclipped to one of the D rings on the front of the saddle. So far, I havent had to use it but I guess it gives me comfort to know its there! However, I read recently in a Mark Rashid book that a neck-strap or similar "gadget" like the one discussed is not always a good plan, as they inadvertently cause you to brace yourself against the horse, making an unplanned dismount (love that phrase!) all the more likely.

I saw the RS-Tor when I was looking at Libby's site, I couldn't for the life of my figure out how it stops you falling off, and still can't... you carry it in your hand the same way you hold your whip, and if something happens you don't fall off :confused:

I tend to let go of everything when I fall off!

newrider.com