LIFE !! -Lets hear the 'woes of the week', lol

fairlady

Jul 14, 2007
Bristol
Life is a funny ol' thing and throws up so many things to deal with. Quite
honestly I need a bit of 'stress' to keep me going, but sometimes, just
sometimes!!!

My week.

Horses escaped once again and with the help of Cookster retrieved them, complained about my electric fencing unit and got it repaired, GOOD !!Thankyou Rutland Fencing and thumbs down to Countrywide:rolleyes:

Had a 'painful' thumb, squeezed it and it was full of pus, YEUK!! Let Cookster and another 'friend' Doctor it last night with hydrogen peroxide and a PIN !!!
Thumb still 'very sore', lol, but pus reduced:rolleyes: Now have an appointment for proper DOCTORS on Monday as need Antibiotics apparently:p

Radiator in my Bedroom sprung, not one but TWO, leaks, thereby ruining carpet and needing a new Radiator. Cannot 'isolate' it as valves STUCK!! ABOUT RIGHT !! Home Insurance Excess is £150 so not worth
claiming on. Radiator and leaks covered by British Gas Homecare Insurance and they will come 'sort it' tomorrow morning. Have to then go buy A new
carpet !! Until tomorrow have 'jugs' under the leaks and continually
emptying them and carpet stinks....need to get that up later today and
get rid of it:rolleyes:

Live in a rank of old Cottages and 'we' in the rank, seem to suddenly have yet another RAT INFESTATION:eek: Now 'RATS' are my total NO, NO, and MY poor Staffie Harvey is having a 'head fit' unable to sleep and spending all
his time looking thro' the glass in the back door looking for the damn things.
Harvey is my 'hero' as he hates them more than I do but is much braver and
wants to go 'kill' the Ratties !!! Environmental Health have been informed and will be coming on MONDAY:rolleyes:

My Mercedes was written off by some lowlife walking over it and totally
denting the roof !! Car Assessed by Assessor sent by Arriva Insurance but the Call Centre in India keeps ringing me to say they need to send an 'assessor':rolleyes: despite the fact they
have been sent the Assessor's Report!!! This has actually now
been going on for THREE weeks and I am getting well 'P'd' OFF. Meanwhile
have Hubbies car, who likes his car 'extremely tidy' and spending all my
time vacumning it out after collecting HAY, lol, so he doesn't know what I
have been up to, though I suspect he 'suspects':p Moral here is that it
may be saving ARRIVA INSURANCE money by having their call centres in
India but it is costing ME a lot more money as I have to keep ringing them
to COMPLAIN and sort it all out:rolleyes:

OTHER THAN THAT ITS BEEN A 'GOOD WEEK':p

What about YOU????

Blimey - what a week you've had!!!! Do hope you get your car sorted, it is most frustrating those call centres, I know what you mean.
I've had leaking rads in our other house (don't have central heating at all now) and I remember the frustrating when they decided to rust through.........towels all over the place.........!!!!!
I personally don't mind rats, BUT, don't think I'd really want 'em in the house....lol, my out-house (which used to be our tack room) was full of 'em at one point. I've even seen a proper "rats nest"!!!! hehehehehe. Poor doggie tho, must be driving him nuts........!

Well, my week has been FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Storm and I had our first proper canter in quite some time and I have to say, its kept me going! My legs are a bit stiff today - I must have been tenser than I realised, plus have probably used a few muscles I didn't know existed.......
Only bummer so far is todays weather - its tipping down here and we only managed a short ride this morning - OH moaned continuiously about having numb hands and how awful the weather was - until I finally gave in and said, "ok, lets head back". His horse was miserable too (they are two of a kind!!!). They just don't "do" bad weather......
Storm is like me, resiliant and quite hardy! Bless her, she was so wet after we'd ridden, her ears were dripping good and proper.......

lol, thankfully the Ratties are in the Gardens not the House. Believe me
IF they were in the house, I would NOT be:eek::p I have to say as much as I 'HATE' them I admire their resilience. They fascinate me
and I was watching one from the Window earlier today. I watch them and 'shake and shiver' with disgust but cannot help having admiration
for how 'clever' they are!!!

Last edited:
Yep, they certainly are clever! I tell you, that rats nest in our out house took some constructing, the mummy rat must have taken ages over it. It was clever how she'd woven it from feathers and newspapers!!!!! I couldn't help but admire it.........!!!

Eek fairlady, we have a baby mouse in our building which apparently smelt the food cooking last night and decided to come investigate when OH was lying quietly on the sofa and watching something on his computer. Makes me feel a little weird about it but cant do much except put a few traps down.

Other than that I've had a pretty good week, only a 4 day week at work and 2 of those I was off the phone and helping to supervise/coach new starters which is brilliant. I finally feel I am somewhat good at my job after a long time lol and that gives me a boost. Also had some horsey time last week with Zingy, helping her to drive her Shetland for the first ever time. Still keep on looking for another share horse that is local ... but I keep finding really nice horses FOR SALE instead uh oh ..

My shetland Surprise learnt a new way to beat the elecric fence, I watched him do it, he put his head between the bottom and top row of tape grabbed hold of the post and pulled it out, he did this to 3 posts then jumped over.:eek::D
Now every fence needs 3 rows, shetlands are just too damn smart.:rolleyes:

My daughters pony Zebedee had a slightly irritated eye, he is extremely ear shy, so anything to do with his head is a challenge, treating his eye twice a day was not a pleasant experience.
I had to leave Bertie rug off even tho its been pouring with rain cause Zebedee kept rubbing his eye on it, making the surrounding skin sore.:(

Bertie now looks like a bog monster, had to tack him up the old way this morning, just tack areas cleaned. The rest of him was absolutely filthy for my daughters friends riding lesson this morning.:eek:

Wally my little cushings pony is back on Danilon :(, but is shedding like mad:).

Not quite in the same scale as some of the woes on here but yesterday I jumped off my bad and landed on a plug (pins up) and now have three holes in my foot! walking really hurts...

ouch Sofi P. Keep an eye on it if the skin is pierced. I 'caught' my Thumb,
thought I had a splinter, which had come out. Now its quite badly infected but its taken a couple of weeks to really start 'festering' yeuk.

Word of warning, IF any of you ever meet COOKSTER 1975 and have a
'baddie' DON'T let her ANYWHERE near it.

Blimey she put a pin in my thumb last night and said 'don't look' I thought it was coming out the other
bloomin' side:p THEN she had the audacity to tell me I was very Brave, and
SQUEEZED IT as hard as she could:eek: That was AFTER they had doused it with first 40% PEROXIDE, then thinking it wasn't burning me enough, which meant it wasn't working, moved up to 60% peroxide (other mate is a hairdresser and has all this stuff). Then shocked that it wasn't 'bubbling' they decided to investigate further with the PIN:eek::p AND I let them do 'all that' and had not even had a DRINK, whereas
they had had 'quite a few' lol. I even sat there whilst they argued about the best way to 'sterilise the pin' lol, with boiling water or a FLAME !!!

You can just imagine it at A & E IF I HAD GONE, cos they wanted me to. 'YES DOCTOR, I LET THEM BATHE
IT IN BLEACH AND THEN STICK PINS IN IT' HAH, 'NO DOCTOR, NEITHER HAS ANY MEDICAL TRAINING, BUT ITS OK COS THEY STERILISED THE PIN FIRST WITH BOILING WATER THEN WITH A CIGARETTE LIGHTER' ,lol, they would have SECTIONED me !!!

Funny thing was, she then bandaged it all up, to 'poultice' it, lol. The bandage disappeared in the night and I cannot find it ANYWHERE:eek::rolleyes:

Perhaps I should let COOKSTER loose on the RATTIES, lol.

Last edited:
ouch Sofi P. Keep an eye on it if the skin is pierced. I 'caught' my Thumb,
thought I had a splinter, which had come out. Now its quite badly infected but its taken a couple of weeks to really start 'festering' yeuk.

Word of warning, IF any of you ever meet COOKSTER 1975 and have a
'baddie' DON'T let her ANYWHERE near it.

Blimey she put a pin in my thumb last night and said 'don't look' I thought it was coming out the other
bloomin' side:p THEN she had the audacity to tell me I was very Brave, and
SQUEEZED IT as hard as she could:eek: That was AFTER they had doused it with first 40% PEROXIDE, then thinking it wasn't burning me enough, which meant it wasn't working, moved up to 60% peroxide (other mate is a hairdresser and has all this stuff). Then shocked that it wasn't 'bubbling' they decided to investigate further with the PIN:eek::p AND I let them do 'all that' and had not even had a DRINK, whereas
they had had 'quite a few' lol. I even sat there whilst they argued about the best way to 'sterilise the pin' lol, with boiling water or a FLAME !!!

You can just imagine it at A & E IF I HAD GONE, cos they wanted me to. 'YES DOCTOR, I LET THEM BATHE
IT IN BLEACH AND THEN STICK PINS IN IT' HAH, 'NO DOCTOR, NEITHER HAS ANY MEDICAL TRAINING, BUT ITS OK COS THEY STERILISED THE PIN FIRST WITH BOILING WATER THEN WITH A CIGARETTE LIGHTER' ,lol, they would have SECTIONED me !!!

Funny thing was, she then bandaged it all up, to 'poultice' it, lol. The bandage disappeared in the night and I cannot find it ANYWHERE:eek::rolleyes:

Perhaps I should let COOKSTER loose on the RATTIES, lol.

You lot are MENTAL, funny as hell to read about, but mental! My moan is the blinking all day sickness, I don't know how much more I can take, this baby better be an angel when it comes out! x

Scotnut lol, YES, you would think I would know better at 53:eek::p

Sympathies for the 'all day sickness', don't know WHY they call it
morning sickness:rolleyes: My first pregnancy was like that.....it does
go.........eventually;)

oooh FL you've had a bad week!

My week hasn't been TOO bad in comparison but tbh it hasn't really been my year so far lol. If i spend any longer in hospital this year with J then I may as well start living there and use my house as a 'holiday home' lol.

Anyway this last week -

Jay has been in hospital for three non consecutive days as he has managed to catch chicken pox. chicken pox and 19 month old with MCADD metabolic disorder is a definite :eek: oh no. Absolutely covered in pox, in his ears, mouth, toungue...everywhere. Hospital next to useless and keep going ooooh, better make sure he eats and you watch him. this equals to not being allowed to put him down in hospital or leave him for a nanosecond in case he comatises. Nurses don't want the responsibility of making up his glucose feeds so I do them. Slept every night with him next to me 'in case something happens' = not a lot of sleep. He is getting better now, well was. Spots are going fast and he has been eating again but had to give him glucose again tonight as he's running a fever and generally unwell.... this means I have to feed him every three hours tonight through the night.

Horses, put Harvey on Calm and condition as he decieded to drop even more weight and was looking too thin, now he did put some weight back on with it but has now decided C&C combined with spring weather = losing the plot. Being very spooky in hand and food aggressive/generally aggresive. So he got some sharp reminders this week. Changing C&C to topspec Cool Condition cubes as less starch (C&C said low starch but the label says it has 19%:eek::confused:) top spec has 10%. looking at the ingredient list of cool condition cubes I'm not holding out much hope for nice pony back again so after this bag might find myself relying back onto good old speedibeet and extra hay instead. to add insult to injury I weightaped him again last night and he has dropped some of the weight he put on so where as he did weigh 305kg and then went up to 325kg he is now back down to 311kg grr

It hasn't all been bad news though, some of the week has been ok;)

Last edited:
Fairlady, I hope you have a better week next week, lots going on there!!!
Laceyfreckle, I don't know what MCADD is, but it sounds frightful - your poor son (?). I thought my week was pretty pants, but everyone else's stuff puts mine into perspective really!

Mine are just work (keep having bad news at work and having to travel away all the time), money (as in not a lot) linked to work, OH woes, not about him but about his situation - in Army, and away ALL the time, since Christmas, I have seen him for two weekends and Friday night!!! But I could bore everyone with that situation for hours! He has a lot of physical baggage that makes our lives very difficult indeed, and that combined with the Army thing is just not condusive to a normal relationship at the moment.

And generally think I am going through a mid-life crisis depression for reasons I won't go into here unless someone needs an insomnia cure!!

Phew moan over...sorry to land that on everyone!:eek: At least when I go to the stables, I forget about all of it!

Fairlady, I hope you have a better week next week, lots going on there!!!
Laceyfreckle, I don't know what MCADD is, but it sounds frightful - your poor son (?). I thought my week was pretty pants, but everyone else's stuff puts mine into perspective really!

Mine are just work (keep having bad news at work and having to travel away all the time), money (as in not a lot) linked to work, OH woes, not about him but about his situation - in Army, and away ALL the time, since Christmas, I have seen him for two weekends and Friday night!!! But I could bore everyone with that situation for hours! He has a lot of physical baggage that makes our lives very difficult indeed, and that combined with the Army thing is just not condusive to a normal relationship at the moment.

And generally think I am going through a mid-life crisis depression for reasons I won't go into here unless someone needs an insomnia cure!!

Phew moan over...sorry to land that on everyone!:eek: At least when I go to the stables, I forget about all of it!

Thank you, A brief overview of MCADD is here :-
http://www.babyworld.co.uk/information/baby/MCADD_newborn_test.asp

btw mid life crisis's - can't they be used to tantrum for more horses/horsey time:p

I love being at the yard because as you say it gives a release from every worry, small or large (unless your horse is acting like mine at the mo lol)

hope you manage to sort things out, to be the way you would like them to be.

Gosh puts my tales of woe into perspective a bit, at least I can sort of
laugh about mine.

LF, sorry to hear what you and Jay are going thro' at the moment. Chicken
Pox can be nasty enough without the extra on top!! Have spent some longish
spells in the Childrens Hospital myself with eldest Son when he was little, he
was a nightmare, would climb out of cot etc.,:rolleyes: bit hyperactive and Nurses couldn't/didn't want to cope with him either:p Hope Jay improves soon and can come home:) As for the Horses, think the grass is 'beginning'
to come thro' and they are all feeling their feet at the moment, especially
with the bit of Sunshine we had for a few days on their backs:D

Nicnac, I am sorry to hear you are having a rough time as well. I can imagine
living with somebody who is away alot is not easy, let alone somebody in
the Armed Forces who must see/deal with horrendous things. Hope things
improve for you both soon and you work it all out. Horses are a great
way to get away from it all, although they can bring their own problems its
still something for US;)

Gosh puts my tales of woe into perspective a bit, at least I can sort of
laugh about mine.

LF, sorry to hear what you and Jay are going thro' at the moment. Chicken
Pox can be nasty enough without the extra on top!! Have spent some longish
spells in the Childrens Hospital myself with eldest Son when he was little, he
was a nightmare, would climb out of cot etc.,:rolleyes: bit hyperactive and Nurses couldn't/didn't want to cope with him either:p Hope Jay improves soon and can come home:) As for the Horses, think the grass is 'beginning'
to come thro' and they are all feeling their feet at the moment, especially
with the bit of Sunshine we had for a few days on their backs:D

QUOTE]

Hiya FL, well he is actually home now (they don't let him stay there without me) but we said we were coming home as it was pointless being there and tbh they prefer us being at home as we don't bode well for their statistics lol. It's not as bad as it sounds though, we've just got used to how things have to be/might become...it's still annoying though lol. Especially as J has low immunity to everything else as well. Hope your eldest son is all better now he's all grown up?
Yep, Harvey is being too much spring for his boots not helped by nopt being worked much the last week either. Piccolo however is the same as always and always ready for a hug:)

Here's to a better week ahead for us all :D

Thanks guys for your lovely thoughts.

Laceyfreckle, I just looked at that link, I never heard of MCADD before, but it sounds really really scary. Can they ever cure it or will he have it forever? I would imagine you are on constant alert with him too, such a lot to deal with!!! Honestly, I can't imagine how you cope, and I think you have three other children too (is that right? I'm sure I read somewhere you do). Wish I could have more horsey time, sigh, but I'm sure we all do! Not sure about more horses though, I think I need to stop making stupid mistakes with the one I've got (like putting her new saddle on slight too far back today, god so embarrassing, my excuse was that it was in her dark stable and it's new...er...'goes off to hide :eek:')! When I have some time and money, I think midlife crisis is a good excuse for a good girly weekend away! ;)

FL, thank you :) Its not easy really, we have another Afghan tour (his third) looming next year already, :rolleyes: and it is now too late for him to try to get out of it (I think he's done his bit already personally, and he is very much on the front line too). Mind you, one of the reasons I bought Tia last year is because he is away so much - and I'm very glad I did. She will keep me going next year while he is in horrid sandy place, who knows, maybe we might be jumping and showing by then! ;)

And yes, horses are the best therapy I know I think! I can't think of another time where I don't think about anything rubbish! Even just being at the stables helps doesn't it?

Thanks guys for your lovely thoughts.

Laceyfreckle, I just looked at that link, I never heard of MCADD before, but it sounds really really scary. Can they ever cure it or will he have it forever? I would imagine you are on constant alert with him too, such a lot to deal with!!! Honestly, I can't imagine how you cope, and I think you have three other children too (is that right? I'm sure I read somewhere you do). Wish I could have more horsey time, sigh, but I'm sure we all do! Not sure about more horses though, I think I need to stop making stupid mistakes with the one I've got (like putting her new saddle on slight too far back today, god so embarrassing, my excuse was that it was in her dark stable and it's new...er...'goes off to hide :eek:')! When I have some time and money, I think midlife crisis is a good excuse for a good girly weekend away! ;)

QUOTE]

It is rare but no, not curable as he was born without the chromosome that makes the enzyme that can break down mid chain fats. Hopefully he will get less obstinante and better at controlling it though. Don't fancy explaining to him when he's a teenager that he can't ever even try a sip of alcohol though. I have four other children and yes it can be hard but they are all pretty good, although they do feel a bit 'in the shadows' sometimes of J as he needs a lot more care.
lol @ the saddle...you should have said that you've seen "all the best people" ride with a saddle a bit far back and rolled your eyes lol.
well when you have the time, energy, money and inclination for a girly weekend away let me and Fairlady know lol...pretty sure we would all be up for something.:)

It is rare but no, not curable as he was born without the chromosome that makes the enzyme that can break down mid chain fats. Hopefully he will get less obstinante and better at controlling it though. Don't fancy explaining to him when he's a teenager that he can't ever even try a sip of alcohol though. I have four other children and yes it can be hard but they are all pretty good, although they do feel a bit 'in the shadows' sometimes of J as he needs a lot more care.
lol @ the saddle...you should have said that you've seen "all the best people" ride with a saddle a bit far back and rolled your eyes lol.
well when you have the time, energy, money and inclination for a girly weekend away let me and Fairlady know lol...pretty sure we would all be up for something.:)

Gosh, sounds awful, one of my best friends has a daughter with a hereditary condition that will probably turn to the big C at some point. She's now 16, been in and out of hospital for most of her life, now totally rebelling! But there's other issues there that have contributed to her behaviour I think. I guess you have just got to get on with things, I know that's what my friend does. She has five other children actually, three younger, two older. I do feel for you.

You know I should have done that re the saddle! The woman who was helping me though is not the most humerous, and probably would have given me a sharp retort - she helps out on the yard, and insisted on then giving me a lesson on how to saddle my horse up - I've had Tia since August and not ever done it wrong before, so it was rather mortifying!!

Re weekend away, sounds like you could both do with it! :)

newrider.com