light fill rugs- need recommendations

Rubic

Equine Karaoke Queen
Apr 15, 2012
Glasgow
I'm looking for a light fill 40-100g rug for Rubic and need some recommendations!

I know premier equine do them and they are good quality but they are a bit on the expensive side. I have also seen a 75g rug by a company called swish horse rugs but I dont know much about them.

Rubic is a cob with quite built up shoulders. I find weatherbeetas fit her well and Masta rugs are a bit neat round her shoulders.

Any recommendations for a reasonably priced rug or any info on swish horse rugs would be appreciated!

Hope you are all having a good Christmas! Hopefully I'll get round to posting a good update when I'm not so busy!

For my big chested boy prince, whose a tank like Irish cob, I highly recommend amigos as they fit beautifully round rotund bottoms and chests;)) they last for years and you can normally get some great deals on eBay!! I also find the make 'gallop' fit him nicely again on eBay- these are great budget rugs:) x

My cobs have 100g turnouts which they live in 24/7.

Moët wears a Rhinegold Arizona 100g, I got it off eBay for £30 including postage. I bought her the next size up as was told they can be snug on the shoulders, but it fits her well. Her other one is an EDT one which I can't find anywhere anymore, only paid £25 including postage off eBay brand new.

Major also has an EDT one, and his other one is a shires tempest 100g, bought it second hand for £20 including postage so bargain! Bought a size down though as found the shires come up big, it fits him well :)

Should have said turnout rug.

The Derby House rugs just don't sit that well on her but the two I had were really good. I just sold them so I could buy some better fitting weatherbeetas.

Thanks very much for the recommendations. I'll have a look online over the next few days and see what I can find! The Amigos sound good, I have a gallop stable/under-rug which is rubbish as it slips but that is more to do with the straps than the fit, it just has one belly strapjust behind her elbows. It does sit well round her neck and her shoulders though so it might be worth looking at their turnouts.

I've got the Swish 100g turnout for Galaxy. It is a lovely rug. He has the 6', they are a bit on the large size, he can be 6'3 in some makes, they say if between sizes, get the lower one. Someone else on the yard has the 75g Swish with detachable neck which is good too. They are good rugs for the price in my opinion. We all only got them this winter so can't comment on how they last.

Another recommendation for Amigo on a lw cob.
Also Shires-if you don't mind the deep length-short legs poke out. :biggrin:

Oh yeh I should have said that if money isn't an issue then absolutely the Amigo, but the 100g amigo is like £90! But the amigo rainsheets fit my cobs perfectly, they are the best fit of all of their rugs!

After years of trying cheaper rugs I now have a Rhino light,medium and heavyweight rug. Rhino is made by the same people that make Amigo..... They are slightly better quality and the Rambo range is the best quality. They all have the same fit though which is the best I've ever found for Bob. The rugs are also really light yet very tough.

.... In not a rep for them promise! But in my opinion I'd pay the extra as it will last much longer.

Fal pro do an excellent 40g turnout rug, not cheap but without doubt the best lightweight rug I ever owned, can't tell you how it would fit on a chunky though, only know it came up big on my TB.
If I needed rugs for Haffy Belle I'd definately get another Fal.

Oh yeh I should have said that if money isn't an issue then absolutely the Amigo, but the 100g amigo is like £90! But the amigo rainsheets fit my cobs perfectly, they are the best fit of all of their rugs!

Not if you buy last years colour in the sale. Its £45. :happy:

I got a Robinsons Requisite Dotty print rug last winter for Storm - tis very lightweight but better than a rain sheet. Not sure if they still do 'em - they probably have similar. Its a great fit too on her - usually we struggle.

Whispers *Don't think I'd be paying £144 for my horse to go out and rip it*... Atm, the most I'd pay for a t/o is £30-40 max.. (case your wondering where I plucked that figure from, I clicked on one of the other rugs, and saw the price tag....... then, I clicked on another rug..... and saw the price tag........... :ninja:)....

newrider.com