Light weight rug are they worth it.

Lexi 123

Sep 9, 2019
I was thinking of buying a light weight rug nothing with any heat basically a rain sheet are they worth the money.

Last edited:
Depends who you ask. I've never had a problem with them and I've had Amigos, Amigo Mios and Premier Equines that have stood up to prolonged heavy rain, but other people say rain sheets are only really shower proof. You can get 50g rugs which don't give much in the way of warmth but that people seem to have more success with.

Yes they are. I've been disappointed with some recent purchases as they have leaked very quickly but im going to try a reproofer that was suggested on here on them.
Besides that. Come March, April, September, October when it's warm in the day, chilly at night you might want one on to keep your horse clean to save brushing off dirt and keep them dry. It's to warm to wear a medium weight then, so rainsheet is better than nothing.

Absolutely as long as you buy decent I think.
That doesn’t have to mean crazy expensive either. Look for 1200d. I bought a second hand but perfect condition Rambo Supreme which is amazing. I can guarantee how ever much it rains for however long my horse is bone dry underneath. The others have various rhinos or Amigos as I will never find a bargain like that again but they are all good.

I buy good rugs. I spend money and, in retrospect, I have learned that, in the meanest of weathers, you get what you pay for. There are certain brand names I stick to and trust. I get rugs repaired properly. Rainsheets must be waterproof and all rugs must have leg straps - I get them put on if necessary as I am fed up of looking for rugs in a 50 acre field After a Force 12 Storm. If you buy cheap EBay crappery, you get exactly that. A false economy Imho And waterproof must mean just that. WATERPROOF!

oh yes, and I also like front leg darts so the horse can actually walk and not feel restricted.

I wouldn't be without them for my riding horses that live out, in the spring and autumn when it's not cold but a little chilly and still wet/muddy they are well worth having to save me trying to clean/dry them to ride.

50 grm high neck or full neck are better as the no fill ones tend to get wet underneath and aren't really storm proof, just shower proof, and the lining of the 50gm ones tend to stop them sweating up underneath the no fill ones

newrider.com