Lightweight rug recommendations...

wondergirl

Aug 30, 2006
Cleveland, UK
www.myspace.com
I have a rather broad shouldered cob who I have awful trouble finding a lightweight rug for. She is normall a 6ft 6, but the current rug I have for her gapes open.

I normally find Shires rugs are a super fit for her shape, but I cant seem to find one with no fill anywhere!

Can anyone help in either finding me a Shires one or recommending another make? :confused:

I have a 6ft3 amigo with chest extender (or did have before he wrecked it:rolleyes:) on my cob, a 6ft6 would probably fit him.

Weatherbeeta rugs fit him nicely, the 6ft6 weatherbeeta orican I have fits him on the tightest holes, which is a feat.
He has a 6ft3 shires but its open at his chest, I think the 6ft6 in that would be too long for him.

Beau is 15hh and the Shires Stormbreaker and Typhoon (I think, will check) fit him fabulously-he's 5'6 and it's just the right size-you might want to go up a size for extra depth. They have no fill. I think Fal Pro are also wider at the chest.

My Amigo fits Mimi really well (she's broad at the front) and has no fill. Very reasonably priced too. I would suggest you go up a size though, as a although she is normally 6', in Amigos she is 6' 3".

mast cut into my boys chest it was so tight even when i bought two sizes too big they didnt seem to be roomy enough at chest. i found w/b brill and recently got very lightweight rugs from EC which were cheap and are very roomy x

shires rug

I have bought a shire light weight rug today with no fill 6'6 for my cob x standing @ 15'1 fits a treat.Bought it from foxsaddlery.co.uk £47 they might post one on to you if you pay postage.hope this helps ?

im not sure if they make them in light weights, though im sure they probably do. i had a weatherbeeta land freestyle rug, it was amazing, it fit my ( super wide) cob perfectly. even the neck thing still had room left in it. it also fit (different rug, same style) my mums TB perfectly too. magic of what?!:eek:

i like the style too, never once slipped about on Ginny, tough aswell. unfortunately she managed to find some barbed wire and rip it, so had to settle for a saxon which slips about on her and isn't as good a fit. if i have enough money at the end of the year im going to buy a weatherbeeta, thats how much i loved it!!:D

btw Ginny is a 15hh h/w cob, she has a 6ft 3 rug:)

Last edited:
I like amigo lightweights, they are really light and flimsy for the warmer weather but soooooo waterproof.

If you have a spare shires rug why not take out the filling and make it into a lightweight?

newrider.com