Lily has a swollen leg - help please!

happy_bunny

Apr 12, 2008
St Mellons, Cardiff
... Was wondering if anyone has any good advice on what to do about it?

She had a cut on her leg when I got her (about 3 weeks ago) and it looked to be healing ok, I have been washing it with cool water and putting sudocrem on but today the whole lower leg is looking swollen and she flinches if I squeeze it :(

Image019.jpg

Image018.jpg

Image020.jpg

Image021.jpg

Have kept her in but not bandaged or anything as I'm not sure if it would make things worse :confused:

How long has she been in for?

I would want her to be wandering about as it can help to keep swelling down.

Would also query that lump above cut is possibly an allergic reaction/bite??

I would be getting the vet to look at it if it were mine - could be an infection has set in and if so, the sooner antibiotics are given the better - dont want it tracking further into the system.

most definitely vet, it's badly swollen. Don't hang around as you don't want the infection tracking elsewhere. She'll possibly need antibiotics and a more potent cream.

Well the vet has seen her and he doesn't think it is infected - said the fluid was free-flowing and therefore likely to be trauma related... There was some kicking and suchlike going on when i introduced her to her new fieldmates so its possible something happened then.

He has given me some gel to put on and advised that she stay in for a few days to avoid any further damage - poor pony!

is there any heat in it? i suppose if it's fluid and vet is certain there is no infection then you could bandage it (along with other hind - always bandage in pairs!) to try and help bring the fluid down.

newrider.com