Litter trays?

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
I know a few of us on here have cats and I'm just looking for a bit of advice regarding litter trays, both our girls are getting old now (15 ish) and Millie is showing her age much more than her sister, she's been checked out by the vet and is healthy in herself but the vet thinks she's just getting old, she's reluctant to go outside now especially if it's cold or wet and she struggles to jump up onto things sometimes, so, it's been suggested we get her a litter tray just to make life more comfy for her which we have, however, her poo stinks, even if I get it up right away the smell is a bit yukky, so is there anything I can get to deodorise the litter tray? Without putting her off using it?
I clean it regularly and obviously as soon as she's done a poo or a piddle, she's on wood pellet litter which she seems to like but is it worth trying something different.

Ah yes, if they don't want to go out into the weather...................When our Flactcat who used to be a totally outdoor girl decided she'd take up residence in the garage and utility / tack room, I ended up buying her a litter tray. I had no idea if she'd use it and she did! It was just a standard one and I thought Tesco own brand cat litter the best. I bought some fancy nice smelling clumping stuff and it was awful to keep clean and far too heavy and wet.
I recently had to make a make shift one for Mackeral the barn cat when she came back from being neutered as she'd reacted badly to the anaesthetic. Vet said keep her quiet and inside for a while, so I ended up cannibalising one of my long boot boxes and filling it with shavings. It did the trick.
Btw, I hated those scented bags - I bought some for popping her poop into (the same ones dog walkers use). Yuk. The scent was so sickly I preferred the poo........................:oops::oops::oops:

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Sorry I wandered a bit there..................I don't know of any specific deodorising item for litter trays. I can ask my mum, as all of her cats are indoor ones - she might know.

The tray with the top helps keep the stink contained and I use a little bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) sprinkled in with the litter and that really helps too :) different litters make a big difference too, I prefer the lightweight stuff, the heavy stuff seems to stay smellier.
My cat goes out but I shut her in at night otherwise she sleeps all day then wants to play in the middle of the night and jumps on my head when I'm sleeping :D so she has a tray for night times.

Different litters definitely make a difference. One of my clients has been experimenting with different ones. They have two cats and two trays in there basement. They used to use Catsan. That did seem pretty good, but they changed to one now that's like Crystal's. It's quite expensive I believe but it lasts about a month until it need changing supposedly. I think they change it a bit more often though. They've also brought a little container of stuff which you sprinkle on the top of the cat litter. It's sort of black grey colour. I'm feeding there cats tonight so when I go I'll check the names of the stuff. I've definately noticed theres less smell just recently.
When they first poo it definitely stinks I have to hold my nose and scoop it up quick.
I think those plastic litter tray liners are a waste of time. The cats just seem to just claw and rip them when they cover there wee and poo.

I use tigerello litter the ultra clumping stuff and it clumps and doesn't seem to smell and it comes with a shake on deodorant powder as well. We have a household of kitties so lots of litter trays and cleaning out and it seems to work well, we use the mega size ones some covered some open

I had a look and there wasnt a bag of the cat litter in in the cupboard so they have used it up currently. The freshener powder was this.IMG_20191005_191634.jpg

You might want to play around with what's she's eating, really stinky poop can be down to digestion issues and a diet that doesn't agree with them. You could try some grain free biscuits or some of the posh science plan stuff if she's currently only on wet food or cheaper biscuits? We use wood pellets at uni and personally don't like them, I always use catsan litter.

I have 3 cats who are all housecats. Their litter trays are in the bathroom and we keep the window permanently locked open and we also have a air freshener which works on a sensor, if anyone (Even a cat!) goes within x distance it goes off. Hope this helps

I’d forgotten about this, so little update, we’ve now got her on food with pro biotics included which seems to be doing the trick, tried the vets ‘smear this on her paws and she’ll lick it off’ stuff, she did the first time, after that it was smear on, shake off! Tried the stuff to mix in her food, wouldn’t eat it, just sat around meowing loudly all day Xs she was hungry, but she’s eating this food and her tum has settled right down, I’ve tried a few different cat litter and we’ve settled on wood pellets, I like them, she loves them and as I have them for Belle it’s easy to just bring a bag home from the yard when I need one. No more smells so happy cat, happy us.

Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
all our cats are indoor cats - we have 11......so lots of trays. I find that the ultra clumping ones are best and easiest to clean out as they really produce small balls to lift out I hate the wood pellet and the coarse grain ones as they tend to get wet and smell. We do the trays every morning and that seems to keep them up together ok.

newrider.com