*little bit worried* Did I do the right thing?

Casey76

Passionate about Pinto
Apr 30, 2003
Basel, Switzerland
Visit site
At the moment Pinto doesn't have free access to water as the pipes to the automatic waterers are frozen (to be fixed today), so he's been getting a bucket in the morning, and yesterday he had a bucket in the afternoon (the bucket can't be kept in the stable as he kicks it over:rolleyes: )

I got there at around feeding time last night (which is about a half pint of barley and 1.5 pints of lucerne pellets... I need to double check this... but no sugarbeet to damp it down)

I'd taken his rug off to groom him off. He'd been uncovered fro about 1 hour in -5C temps when the food was brought round. As the food was dry i went to get him some more water, and he drank over 2.5 buckets. About 5 mins later he started shivering, really dothering, so I put his couverture back on. After a further 5 minutes he was still shivering, which was obviously bothering him as he started pawing the air, so I put his headcollar on and led him round the yard for 10mins to get the blood circulating again.

Although he was still abit quivvery when I put him back in his box he had improved a lot, and his appetite hadn't diminished (nose straight into the manger again). I thought about thatching him with straw, but by the time I returned from watching a lesson he was OK, and not shivering anymore.

Did I do the right thing by walking him out?

Hopefully this won't be repeated as the water heater for the automatic waterers should be on today, and he'll have 24access to water.

yes, you did the right thing. you got him moving and warming himself up, he wasn't distressed any more, and he is fine now.
i expect the water was very cold, being as it was -5, and the large volume at once got him cold internally.

if it happens again, if you can boil some water and add a kettleful to the cold bucket, so it is slightly warm, that'll stop it happening again. have you got facilities to do that at the yard?

newrider.com