Livery experience

zozo

Mar 2, 2023
We've never had deal with livery before so it's all new to us, found a yard, offers DIY, assisted and full, with the option of bolt on services for those on DIY if and when required.
Small yard think 9 stables in total, small outdoor school but it hasn't got lights. So we are DIY haven't had need use bolt ons at moment, ym has a lot of young colts about the yard and in paddocks.
My fist annoyance is she constantly changes what pony stables next to ours, but also didn't tell me that had put one in there who had lice! Another livery come and told me after she see them touching noses over the door. Completely understand these things happen but I'd of appreciated the heads up!!
Second is we pay extra for hay and straw, but the amount of time go and the hay room is completely empty, ym hay nets are all nicely full, but it's the big round bales and I can't move them by my self and often there isn't anyone else around, it's quite a distance to where they are delivered to the hay room and can't open them where delivered as its too open. Now I'd understand ym not been able move by self but they can drive the tractor and move them that way but seem to choose not too. I did see ym at weekend and ask because there was none again and offered help roll one round but instead they decided to go hacking.
Thirdly I completely understand its winter it's been very wet etc, but the path trying to get to our turn out field is completely water logged it's a nightmare, ym had put some woodchip down at the entrance of the path and said was doing the whole path, the entrance is a lot better but the rest is awful, trying take a barrow down there you get stuck, the barrows all over and tipping over it's not enjoyable at all. But what has been the annoying thing is ym did get a lot more woodchip but decided to put it on 3 of the fields they use for their ponies as hate them been in mud. Of course ym gets all best fields and the ones closest to yard and where the paths are all stone and no mud around. Fine understand their ym they get choose. And I don't mind our field as a rule yes its very muddy and waterlogged by the entrance but wouldn't be half the issue if could actually get up and down to the field without a battle.
There has been couple other bits like the battery for electric fence not been charged and 3 mornings there was a pony out I had to catch to put away before turning my own out, which was highlighted everytime that the fencing wasn't working and nothing done. Couple liveries have happened leave in the last couple weeks aswell who had been there a while. My only other concern is there are meant be some new liveries coming but big horses and there is only 1 empty field which is very small unless summer fields are used which everyone has been told can not be used at all (although have seen their colts down there a few times) so I'm unsure where these new liveries are getting turned out unless they plan make fields smaller, shall have wait and see. Ym isn't around much! Seem be at a weekend and I happened seen them 1 weekday once, apparently has some yard help who go couple mornings in week but I've never seen them.
After my long post what I was trying to get at was is this kind thing usual on livery!? Especially when the offer of assisted and full is available?? I know we are DIY so probably bottom of the pecking order and I don't think many others use assisted either at moment only seen ym helping with one horse for a couple days. We pay to be there, and extra for hay etc so I presumed it would be easily available and when was told the path would be sorted it actually would be! I have spoken with ym about it but just get replies such as well it isn't raining today- not helpful. Plus you have use this path to get to the summer fields once they are open which is meant to be in around 3 weeks, although they aren't ready yet.

I'll address your points in order

Firstly it's not up to you what she puts next door to yours, you rent a box and so as long as she isn't putting something in your box it's nothing to do with you what goes where. Touching noses over the door is unlikely to transfer lice, and to be honest a lot of hairy types are prone to them this time of year. If you're worried treat yours with louse powder or an insecticidal shampoo. If I was the YO and you were complaining about this I'd be thinking you were likely to be more trouble than you were worth.

Secondly the hay. Yes it's a nuisance if there isn't a bale open when you want and it may be an idea if you see it getting low to ask the yo to move one before it's all gone, they do have a life outside of the yard though so if you expect them to drop everything to move a bale when you want hay it isn't going to go down well. Why not buy a few extra nets and when there's an open bale fill them all and stack somewhere out of the way? Make sure you always have at least one spare net full and that way this won't be a problem. If you're desperate can't you open one up where their delivered and then tie it up securely so it doesn't blow everywhere? I've done that in the past.

Thirdly the paths. In case you haven't noticed it's been extremely wet lately and I doubt you'll find anywhere that isn't muddy and waterlogged. I have to take hay into the field in nets because there's no way I'd get a barrow through and I doubt I'm alone. While it's this wet there's no point in putting woodchip down, it's just going to make it boggier. Just be thankful you have turnout, once it's this wet many yards don't allow it! This is what I remind myself of every time my cob comes flying up to me and splatters me from head to toe with muddy water 🤣

I'm sorry but to me you sound like you're whinging, what you describe is the reality of owning horses in the winter. On your own yard you'd have more control, but you'd also have a lot more work and no back up if you were ill or away. You can move if you object that much, but you may find the next yard is no better or worse.

Our gateways and tracks are a bit like swamps at the moment and most days I have to contend with a Shetland that;s like a battering ram trying to escape as I turn my cob out. Our school doesn't have lights - doesn't bother me I don't use it - and if fencing is down I deal with it then speak to the YO who does a proper job rather than my bodge. We buy our own hay but storage is limited and there are sometimes words had when people think their hay has been taken, likewise bedding. We get no say on what goes in with our horses or who gets what field. People who only go up late evenings after work may not see the YO at all in the winter, she's out there a lot of the day why would she want to be there at night as well?

Certainly didn't want to come across as whinging as I explained wanted to see if it was usual for livery as we haven't had use livery before. And it sounds asif your yo is about a lot more than ours!
Yes completely understand its winter and wet and it's part of having horses.
And as I explained I've no issue helping move bales etc but unable to if by my self, if I notice the bale is low i do ask for one be moved when possible or if anyone is due up anytime soon as i can help move the bale. The issue is clearly not everyone does and its often all gone. Certainly don't expect the ym to be there 24/7 or drop everything!! The issue is storage and having nowhere to store ready filled nets.
The loose pony isn't mine, I've just caught it and put it safe and let it's owner know its been out, as the fencing wasn't broken the 3 times it was out, so clearly the owner needed to find where it was escaping but fact electric wasnt charged probaly didnt help.
We certainly aren't more trouble than we are worth!! Keep to ourselves other than been polite when see anyone, always ensure tidy up, help when required, and keep to the terms of our contract. Perhaps my post sounded rather different to how I meant it too!

I'm not exactly sure what you want anyone to say?

Our next door neighbour has changed so many times, I don't bother trying to keep up. It makes no odds to me at the end of the day.

The hay would exasperate me a bit if I made nets up daily - I make a week's worth up in one go as much easier. Is there a notice board or diary you could perhaps ask others to let the YO know if it is getting low or leave a note?

I'm afraid a muddy path to the field is par for course though. It's been exceptionally wet the last few weeks, you only have to see how many events have been cancelled!

There's always compromise on livery yards & ultimately it's up to the YO how they want to run the yard.

I'd try not to worry about what might happen.

I've seen my YO twice since Christmas, but I have their number so can get in touch if need be. I don't need to see them though.

Reactions: carthorse
I think the short answer is yes, that's a lot of yards at the moment and you have to find a way to muddle on through, livery yards are never perfect for everyone and everyone has to compromise. Sadly DIY are always the bottom of the pile, paying less, gets you less.

Unfortunately you don't get a choice on your neighbour, that's part of the livery yard life. A lice infested neighbour isn't great, but what would you have done differently if you knew beforehand?

Having an extra net filled and left for emergencies is a good idea, perhaps you could tie it up outside your stable? use it and refresh it every day. Its just in case you are the unlucky one who arrives and the bale has run out - if YM is only about in the mornings then she may have looked and thought there was enough left for everyone and it only takes a cold night and everyone gives a bit extra to make the difference. I'm on my own yard and use big bales, and I still keep emergency small bales for when things go pear shaped and I don't have a big one/its not in the right place to open!

The mud is a nightmare, but if they start running up and down with a tractor they will make matters worse. And woodchip is actually the worst thing they can do as it rots down and next winter the mud will be even deeper. Straw is a good temporary option, but it would need digging back out in spring which is a hell of a lot of work (to stop the same thing happening). Good wellies is normally the answer! if getting the barrow back and forth is really hard could you get a 2nd one and leave one down at the field?

I have to be honest and say I sort of gave up reading such a long post. How long have you been on this yard?
You have a few issues and want to know if it's normal, yes, all yards to some degree have some sort of niggle or other.

If the stable next to yours isn't another livery, then expect different horses to use it. See it as educational for yours to get to see different friends, and not be fussed by change or if the stable is empty.
This wouldn't bother me or mine.

It sounds as if your yard would benefit from a group chat. Ie you add to it that the hay is low, so the ym actually has time to do something. Or a noticeboard.
Agree with above, make sure you have an extra net that you can reach for, it's an issue you are aware of.
I don't know why you can't just open a bale and carry the nets that you require. I wouldn't want my hay bale rolled through mud.
I wouldn't give you permission to move it either. These are actually very dangerous and have killed people by becoming unstable. I hope you've been taught to always take the hay from around it and don't just hack at it.

You have said
"But what has been the annoying thing is ym did get a lot more woodchip but decided to put it on 3 of the fields they use for their ponies as hate them been in mud. Of course ym gets all best fields and the ones closest to yard and where the paths are all stone and no mud around"

This doesn't sound good. Has it occurred to you that they may have paid for this? You are making a big sweeping statement about the staff having the best fields.
If you don't like your current one, wait until another becomes free. I don't know how true it is, that liveries shuffle internally and the least favourite field is the one advertised.

We are grass livery and I think I have seen the yo once this year. I don't need to see them, they will be around when you are not.

I think it sounds like there might be a communication issue. Is there a procedure to let the YM know about issues such as no hay/muddy gateways etc? If not, is there a way of suggesting to the YM that a system is needed? Unfortunately being at livery means being at the mercy of YM/other liveries, whether you agree with them or not. It’s why I bought a house with stables and land so I could do things my way.

Sounds disorganised, not all yards are like that no. Some yard managers are very on it so would let liveries know if the horses had lice, would make sure hay was always available and would make improvements when they said they were going to

newrider.com