Livery yard fees

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
Has anyone been in the position where they want a livery yard to hold a stable for them whilst they look for a horse?
If so, did you have to pay a deposit, or a weekly fee to hold the empty stable?

I have an empty stable. I could really use the rent for it so I can save to get field drains done next year. A lady currently on the yard has said she MAY be getting a second horse, but won’t be even looking until Spring. The stable was used by an old horse and this lady said that once he had gone, she would be looking to get a second horse, and asked if she could have the stable. I said yes at the time, but there was no reason to think that the horse wouldn’t live for another few years. He had to be pts sooner than expected so the stable became empty. The lady is now assuming that I will hold the stable ‘as agreed’ but hasn’t mentioned paying for it.
I obviously don’t want the full rent as that includes hay and water which she won’t be using, so out of the £30 per week rent, what would you consider to be a fair amount to ask?

Yes I would expect to pay a holding fee. I would say 50% of the total cost of livery is fair, but also there needs to be a time limit on it. In my experience the holding of a stable is short term, weeks rather than months is what normally happens.

Reactions: Jessey
I think you have to set a deadline for your current livery as to how long you are prepared to hold the stable. If there not going to look till spring that could be another 6 months that's a lot of income. If they don't want to pay a nominal holding charge you surely can do as you see fit.
I see adverts for people who need temporary stables for a month or two especially over winter. Could you offer the stable to someone else on a strictly temporary basis. That way you get income.
Then tell the livery that you are renting out the stable on a temporary basis and you want a holding charge from a date specified in the spring. If they don't pay from that date then get a new livery or offer it to the livery you took on over winter if they want to stay.

newrider.com