Livery

LinzUK

Feb 3, 2002
London UK
Visit site
Hi everyone,

As a complete beginner I don't have a clue what the different types of livery are, what should be included in them etc...

Would some kind soul please explain?

I am considering looking for a share...I guess I'd be able to go 2 or 3 times a week, can someone give an idea of what I should pay?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

Lindsay
London/Kent border, UK

Firstly, I would say that most of the time sharing is a very good option and an excellent way of gaining experience around horses. However, you will need to gain much more riding experience before someone will let you share their horse. Try to gain as much experience at your riding school before even considering looking for a share. some riding schools to 'share a pony/horse' weekends and short stable management courses, which are excellent and teach you loads!

There are several types of livery:

1. Grass Livery - your horse only has access to a field - most yards won't let you bring the horse onto the yard with this type of livery and everything has to be done in the field (feeding, grooming, tacking up etc) which is fine in the summer, but NOT in the winter!! It is, however, the cheapest.

2. DIY - you rent a stable and turnout for your horse, but do everything yourself. Some yards will provide supplies for you to buy off them, but most places you have to find your own suppliers. This is the second cheapest.

3. Part Livery - everything is done for you except riding of your horse and tack cleaning. Quite expensive, depending on the area you live in. It includes the cost of all feed and bedding.

4. Full Livery - most expensive where everything is included and done for you, including excercising your horse.

Hope this explains about livery!!!

Well I'm keen to learn more, I just can't afford to. I only work part-time.

I guess it'll all have to go on hold until I'm living in the middle of nowhere and lessons are affordable.

Thanks for explaining about the livery.

Regards,
Lindsay

You could always offer your services at a local riding school - perhaps one or two days/mornings/afternoons a week? They are always glad of assistance and you may get a ride or some money out of it!

I meant to add that sharing can vary in cost and is far cheaper than owning a horse! (I used to pay £80 per month, plus half shoeing, but in other areas it can be cheaper/more expensive, depending on what type of livery the horse is on).

Where abouts are you and do you drive? I could possibly recommend somewhere you could gain some good experience which would cost you only your time.

There is a charity near me that has shires as well as other animals. I could go and do some voluntary work there for experience (mucking out, learning to groom and care for harness and the like), also they have cattle, sheep, geese and chickens. Chickens are my other great love. I was just about to go and see them and offer my services when I was struck down with the flu.

Yes I do drive, although it's my hubby's car. I wouldn't be able to go huge distances because of petrol costs, which I would have to fork out for myself, and as I mentioned I only work part-time.

As for location I am halfway between Greenwich and Dartford, about 5 minutes walk from the bank of the Thames.

It would certainly give me a start - perhaps mucking out and tack cleaning in return for lessons!

Look forward to hearing from you further.

Best regards,
Lindsay

Unfortunately I don't really know your area - but others on this board may be able to recommend a riding school etc. I would assume that somewhere on the outskirts of Kent would be ok?

I would definitely offer your services to the place with the Shires - anything like that is such good experience. You can never have too much experience!!

Have you tried the riding school search on this site? Its very good and you may find somewhere near to you that needs help.

Good luck!

newrider.com