living out now 24/7 and not wanting hard feed...?

BlueWicked

fluff-free
Jan 13, 2008
in the real world...
Blue moved to his new field and started living out 24/7 yesterday. Today he didnt want to eat his hardfeed - Baileys Lowcal, hifi & supplements... all he wanted to do was graze:rolleyes: and there is penty of grass.... should I be worried?

No!Mine have dropped off their feed by their own choice!Tonight it was a real effort for them to leave the hay feeders!Jack even left his few carrots and headed off to graze,so as from tomorrow they arnt having any grub,only the stabled ones having something for tea!!
Blue looks very contented in new field,its been a beautiful day today for grazing in new fields!
x:D

No don't be worried just go by their appetite and thank your lucky starts you have one that's cheap to feed. :D

Try and get a token feed down with a powdered feed balancer in though. I usually do this after working Joy before turning her back out again :)

No!Mine have dropped off their feed by their own choice!Tonight it was a real effort for them to leave the hay feeders!Jack even left his few carrots and headed off to graze,so as from tomorrow they arnt having any grub,only the stabled ones having something for tea!!
Blue looks very contented in new field,its been a beautiful day today for grazing in new fields!
x:D

thanks... so how on earth do I get him to have his supplements? (Garlic & hemp oil) ..and if he isnt getting his balancer Il need to get a powdered vit&min supplement in there somehow too...? Have got a NOrvite one that is balanced for local soils:D

Thank the heavens you won't have to fork out for feed lol!

Try giving him a little after working him just to get his balancer and supplements though! Just a handful of something to get it into him!

Lucky you I'm still feeding hefty amounts of conditioning mix!

Can you mix his supplements with a small amount of sugarbeet?add a bit of apple to encourage him to eat maybe?jak,will and rose all have supplements in summer and thats all i do,I usually bring them in for a groom etc and give it to them then.
x

I use hi fi lite as the carrier but some speedibeet would do just as well. Just don't be tempted to offer too much, just a handful so they get all the suppliments and don't give up part way through!

just a wee update...

its back to being freezing cold again and snowing, so i was keen for Blue to get some feed as he is staying out. Anyway, he wouldnt take the speedibeet&supps again tonight, even with carrots in:eek: and suddenly wondered if for some reason he doesnt like the taste of the new powdered vitamin supplement... so I went and put fresh speedibeet in a bucket with carrots and he ate it:D

Looks like I need to try a different vits supplement!:rolleyes:

just a wee update...

its back to being freezing cold again and snowing, so i was keen for Blue to get some feed as he is staying out. Anyway, he wouldnt take the speedibeet&supps again tonight, even with carrots in:eek: and suddenly wondered if for some reason he doesnt like the taste of the new powdered vitamin supplement... so I went and put fresh speedibeet in a bucket with carrots and he ate it:D

Looks like I need to try a different vits supplement!:rolleyes:

Fussy horses! lol:D

Ive just put my veteran onto a field of lush grass, he wont have diner now as wont need it

I know what you all mean having just this week turned my gelding out he now refuses to eat his hoof supps in his feed.

What feed supplement is it hun??

Does he like mints??

If he does mix a little bit of peppermint oil in the beetpulp to mask the taste of the vits and he should eat it!!!

Morks a treat with Kia!! Alternatively water down some treacle and mix through before adding your beetpulp on top and that should soon disappear as well.

After spending a summer trying to get Kia to eat meds I have devised ways to get fussy and suspicious ponios to eats whats good for them lol!!!

Let me knwo if these dont work as I have loads more!!!!

Nikki xxxx

Thank god it's not just me. Zoot is refusing to eat at the moment, because he has lots of grass. The only things that seem to work is competition (feed him in the field with the other) or a handul of leisure mix, bit of hifi and carrots.

Is a pain as I reall need to get his itch free herbs down him!

thanks for all your suggestions... erm, not too sure about the creme egg:eek:;)

.......well he's being a fussy bugger:p Nik - I havent managed to get peppermint oil yet as local shoppy aint got it:rolleyes:

He was ridden for almost 3 hours yesterday, and I really wanted to get these vet&mins into him, plus if poss his galic & hemp oil. So today I made him a jammy sandwich with the supps sneakily hidden in - and the fussy sod spat it out!!!!!!!:rolleyes: He also spat out the apple I hollowed out:rolleyes:

Decided to try him with the just the Baileys Low Cal again and the swine ate it! :D So at least he got the vits he needs!!

horses eh?!

newrider.com