Loading my horse into a trailer

syrupoffigs

Jan 9, 2002
Australia
Visit site
My 14.3HH mare refuses to go on to the float. The float is a cub and is in good condition. I am able to load her onto a truck and have also been able to load her on a different float but she refuses to go into this float. Can anyone help me?

Most cases where a horse will go on a truck but not on a float comes down to leading. Many people think their horse leads well but really it only leads well when it wants to go the same way as you. Try some exercises where you can test your horse's obedience on the lead, backing through two markers, moving quarters left and right, and so forth. Make sure you take a long whip with you to back up your commands.

Make sure you can always get the response you want away from the float then give it a try. :)

There is a good article in John Lyons book on loading. He takes a LONG time to teach the horse to load. If you are loading on a straight load trailer that could be the problem. My "old" horse (Reagan) loads great on a slant load but hesitates on a straight load. My new horse (Jet) doesn't like straight load either. Also if the trailer is a dark color inside it looks spooky. I can read my horses' minds and that's what they think. Ha. It's really tight in there. If you have access to the trailer, put the horses feed in there each day for a week and the horse will go right in. If not, see if you can borrow one and practice loading and unloading until your horse is comfortable with it. Good luck.

baffled!

I am baffled because Roxy is being a pest when it comes to loading - but only when we're already out and it's time to come home!

At home she goes in and out, has her food in there, stays in to eat hay. I put her in, get her out and ride her, put her in again for her reward feed.

The day of the trip comes along, she goes in, we travel, she comes out we ride, we finish - then when it's time to get back in to come home......

It's a trailer, with the partition opened, it's cream inside so it's not dark. She will not respond to a lungeline behind her, a tap with a whip. She is so crafty that if there is a bucket in front of her, she will go in far enough to not be able to put the ramp up, grab a mouthful and go backwrds out again!

The more people that turn up to help, the more she refuses to go in, but if I'm on my own I can't get to put the door up - I fastened her once and she pulled out and broke her headcollar.

I can't understand why these problems only happen away from home - she positively leaps in at home, wherever the trailer is parked!

Help!!

newrider.com