Loan a horse?

Emlbaker

Jun 24, 2019
Hi all I’m new here and wondered if I could pick your brains?
When is the right time experience wise to look at loaning a horse?

That really is am impossible question to answer. It depends on the horse, the rider, the support available etc. Some people can loan a saintly schoolmaster when they are still learning to ride, others can ride in a riding school for years and think they are brilliant riders, but the moment they try and ride a non riding school horse they realise they can't cope. The best thing to do is talk through the options available locally to you with your riding instructor. They will able to help.

That really is am impossible question to answer. It depends on the horse, the rider, the support available etc. Some people can loan a saintly schoolmaster when they are still learning to ride, others can ride in a riding school for years and think they are brilliant riders, but the moment they try and ride a non riding school horse they realise they can't cope. The best thing to do is talk through the options available locally to you with your riding instructor. They will able to help.
Thanks Mary xx

I did it before I got Ramsey, my first. I'd ridden at RS for 3 years, and it was a good learning curve. Not least because she was a horrible vicious thing to handle, but a dream to ride! It was good preparation for owning one tho. It's how long is a piece of string really - the ridings the least of it, and if you feel ready for the looking after bit, then have a go. As others say, chat with your RS, get all the advice you can. :)

Reactions: Emlbaker
I would say the first thing to do is work at a local stables and learn how to handle horses - do the horse management programme to learn about care, health and feed.
Then maybe do a share a day or two a week so you gain experience and confidence.
Only when you have everything in place - stabling, grazing, vet, farrier, dentist & body person and can pay for the insurance and other bills should you consider a full time loan.

I’m currently volunteering a couple of times a week (on mat leave at the min) at my local stables which I love. Just started the management course they do for the care etc too which I go to once a week. In all honesty I do love riding but I love just being around the horses more if that makes sense lol. I rode years ago and just got back into it and it’s just under my skin now. Luckily I have a fab hubby who is happy for me to follow the passion. Thanks for the advice ladies, non of my friends are “horsey” so they don’t really get it or want to talk about horses lol xx

Reactions: lauren123 and Huggy
As already said, if you can get some time in at a local stables that's always good. I hung around making a nuisance of myself after my lessons on a Sunday :p until they finally let me do some mucking out and grooming. Hahahaa. Who'd have thought the novelty actually wears off?!!!! (only kidding).

Reactions: Huggy
Maybe ask your riding school if they would do you an own a pony day, where you have to do everything yourself, muck out, tack up, ride alone etc. and see how you get along, count how many times you ask for/need/want help and bare in mind that if you loan you don't necessarily have anyone to ask and that is just an average day and not dealing with emergencies etc. It's interesting you can see some lovely riders in RS's but when they ride solo they suddenly don't know what they are doing or what to do in a schooling session, that's one of the big adjustments from RS to share or loan. I think a share can be a good stepping stone, at least you don't have sole responsibility straight off the bat that way :)

You said you're on maternity leave - are you expecting, or have you already had the baby? Either way, I would question if this was the ideal time for you to be taking on the sole responsibility of a horse for the first time. Combining babies and horses CAN work and many people do it, but loaning a horse is a much bigger commitment than helping at the stables a couple of times a week. You said you just enjoy being around horses - which is how we all feel, so you're in good company here! - and the benefit of helping at the stables is that you can pick the days / times that suit you and ultimately the main responsibility for the care and welfare of the horses is not actually on your shoulders! In all honesty you may find it an easier / less stressful / more enjoyable way to get your horsey fix than the commitment of a loan horse who is completely dependent on you.

Reactions: lauren123
Thanks for the advice ladies, non of my friends are “horsey” so they don’t really get it or want to talk about horses lol xx
We happily talk all day about them!!!
I think the biggest issue from RS ponies to loaning or sharing is its not just when it suits within reason.
Some people are very flexible with days and will allow you to do different days to suit you. Other times not so.
When i loaned my days were monday weds and saturday. I had college on the mon and weds so it meant seeing her and turning out before college (diy yard) then going up on the night to ride etc. So its more responbility. Unless its full livery its also when the weather is awful.
I remember been wrapped up in a number of layers as it was -3 and snowing one day ready to go bring my pony in. Saying bye to my mum (i was 16) who was in the lounge with the fire on and having a cheeky glass!!

Will your riding school do part loans? I'm an older/returner rider and after having lessons for 5 months I was offered a part loan for 3 days a week. Its been fantastic. There was alway someone on hand to ask advice if needed and the riding school were in charge of food, grazing etc. Its been a great way to learn more;. I have done this for nearly 2 years and now looking to buy.

Reactions: Huggy
Whether you've already taken the leap or are still contemplating it, I hope your horse loan experience brings you joy and fulfillment in your equestrian journey!

• Love
Reactions: PotBelliedPig
newrider.com