loan advice

twigs

Aug 31, 2008
Belfast NI
I emailed someone recently who has a horse for loan (16.1 15 yr old TB gelding) They specified he was only to be used as a happy hacker, and in the email it was explained he had 'regular throughbred legs' and jumping hurt him?
He is available for loan in 2 weeks time and they sai someone like me who just wanted to pootle about was what they were looking for and to give them a ring to arrange to see im
In my email I did say i wasnt looking to loan just now, but was looking into what conditions et loaning ivovlved, and was the horse sound etc etc and who would be responsible for what, but they seem quite eager to have him a new home
what do you think o the 'regular thoroghbred legs'bit?
Loaning at the minute is out of question, I dont even have transport now anyway, was more poking my nose in lol

Whats your gut feeling?? The 'jumping hurt him' worries me a bit, what happens if he spooks on a hack would this hurt?? I have never heard of TB legs being a problem, they manage to clear Beeches Brook at a gallop in deep mud along with heavy going hunting ground! I think I would ask more q's as I get the feeling this horse has pain and they are warning you but trying to make light of it. Poor lad.

hes 15, that was pointed out,
15 with regular TB lags, so obv no jumping as it hurts him?
My instinct is recurring lameness maybe?
I have emailed back for more info, I have been offered to visit him to see what I think
at at my rs there are horses 20+ still jumping well

Leave well alone would be my advice.. My 15yo ex racer was hunting twice a week!

Sounds like he has maybe had a previous injury due to jumping ? Sprung a tendon or similar ?

I'm guessing they mean that some TB's can have problematic legs due to their fine build.. TheG was a LW sprinter.. and he had plenty of problems with his legs due to random injuries but never due to him having tendon/confo related probs.. Stanner on the other hand has legs like tree trunks!

Without meaning to sound rude, your not looking for a loan right now, and just wish to know the ins and outs, why not ask your questions here?
The owner prob is in a difficult enough situation trying to home her lad, I'd be pretty cheesed of to give you a load of info just to stem your curiosity!
As stated I really do not mean this in a rude way but there are so many posts re timewasters etc - are you being fair by showing an interest with something you have no intention of taking on?
If you genuinely were interested in him, I would be put off by her comments, a loan is to learn more about horse care etc so something with problems from the start is not a good combination.

Without meaning to sound rude, your not looking for a loan right now, and just wish to know the ins and outs, why not ask your questions here?
The owner prob is in a difficult enough situation trying to home her lad, I'd be pretty cheesed of to give you a load of info just to stem your curiosity!
As stated I really do not mean this in a rude way but there are so many posts re timewasters etc - are you being fair by showing an interest with something you have no intention of taking on?
If you genuinely were interested in him, I would be put off by her comments, a loan is to learn more about horse care etc so something with problems from the start is not a good combination.

I agree, you sound like what would be described as a timewaster.........

I agree, you sound like what would be described as a timewaster.........

im sorry but i agree with V... what a off thing to do, if you rang me about a horse i had advertised, to turn round and say you wasnt actually intrested id be totally livid, PLEASE dont ever do that to somebody again, sometimes having to loan/sell our beloved horses is hard enough without people ringing and wasting our time.

well before you all start having a pop which is what you alot of you seem to do, I explained in the email EXACTLY what I said here
I told the person I was considering a loan next year
And was looking online at a particular site(where this horse wa advertised), and there was very few (2 at the most) advertised in NI,
and where did she advise me too look?
I also added, 'your horse does sound ideal, but \i would be interested in why hacking only??'
I never once told her I was interested in going for it, and I also stated 'I hope you dont mind me asking...'
she was very nice about it, and said the horse had already went out on loan but they were hard on him so she took him back, she wants the horse gone asap as she needs the stable for a horse that can jump
I wouldnt intentionally waste anyones time, and made her aware of that from the start

Ill also add - I have seen posts here where people have posted links about horses for sale, and asking why ppl thought they were so cheap etc etc...the advice generally given was...ring and find out???

***I have taken in greyhounds for rehoming, and have had folk ring me and have me on the phone for ages asking me all about greyhounds, and that theyare considering one as a pet, but not just now for various reasons, I wouldnt dream of telling them they were a time waster, sometimes people like to talk to someone, not read info online or a book....***

I think the worst thing to do was to say I was interested,go see the horse, ride it, and then say, ty ill be on touch next yr!!
Making a mountain out of a molehill comes to mind

An email takes a few minutes to reply to, or hit delete!!

Last edited:
I think twigs made it perfectly clear in her first post.

In my email I did say i wasnt looking to loan just now, but was looking into what conditions et loaning ivovlved,

Those who want to jump down her throat would be as well to read the whole post first.

ty chev
I did say in original post I was sticking my nose in:rolleyes:
not in a nasty way, just curious
if I didnt have doubts about the 'no jumping, and regualr TB legs' I would seriously consider it!
Next year was because I have no transport just now, but thats easily dealt with

TBH, I've never heard of "regular TB legs" - I, too, wondered if they meant "feet", as Thoroughbreds are renouned for having awful feet, although there are always exceptions to the rules.
My lad is forever having leg issues, but I put it down to him playing rough in the field with the colts and the strain that was put on his legs when he was racing, from two to four years old. Doesn't stop him from being quite happy to jump and have a good gallop, but I am quite cautious about over-doing it, as he does have far more issues with his legs than most non-TBs that I know! :eek:

Sounds like they've been upfront about this horse's problems, though, and kind enough to answer your queries :) Personally, if you have any doubts, or if loaning now would be more difficult than loaning next year, I would give it a miss. Nothing worse than falling in love then finding that you want to do more than the horse can manage, or that your lack of transport causes the loan to become inconvienient for you - I found that trying to get the bus to my loan sapped a lot of the fun out of it for me, as I was always frustrated by the irregularity of the bus, and the sheer hassle of travelling for forty minutes by bus what could be done in fifteen minutes by car!

I agree re. the transport:eek:

I have been rash in the past when taking in another dog, and i have at times regretted it, so i know that there is no way Id take on a horse unless everything was 100%
I wouldnt be happy hacking everytime I wanted to ride either, and I wouldnt like to be constantly worrying about a horses legs
The horse was only jumped for a yr, he is 15
now he cant jump, another 'jumping horse' is being sought:rolleyes:
I did thank the girl for her help and explained that if i was to go ahead with a loan, I would want to be able to do more with the horse should I want to, and also take lessons on him:)
and thanked her for her time

newrider.com