Locking stifle help...

Belles123

May 17, 2019
I have a 5 year old with locking stifle in both back legs, I have been told young horses normally grow out of it once they have built up the muscle. In trot he has started doing a hopping on the front end, feels almost like a canter stride on the right front leg. When it first happened I thought he was lame so I gave him some time off work in hope he would sort himself out- it has now been 3 weeks and its not going away even been trying to ride him through it but nothing changes. I just wondered if it could be the locking stifle causing him to do this motion? Any help and advice would be appreciated before I speak to a vet.

It sounds as though he's lame in front to me, but it's very difficult to diagnose from an armchair! I don't suppose you have a video?

I wouldn't be trying to ride him through it either, just in case he has an issue that needs resting. I'd want the vet's advice first.

My pony has double locking stifles (from conformation rather than growth) and although he's not ridden he's been driven and I have never noticed it effect his front end in any way. I would assume its a separate issue and get a vet if he's still not right in front after several weeks rest.

Reactions: Huggy
Many years ago I had a pony with locking stifles, and like the others I don't recall it ever showing in this way. After 3 weeks I'd be getting the vet out and not riding until he'd been seen.

I would speak to your vet. If its occuring only ridden then get your vet to watch him being ridden. What is he like on the lunge.

I had a youngster age 18 months whose stifles both locked, she was turned out on a hill and within 4 months she was sound as she built up the muscle and the stifle stayed solid. I would long rein him up hills and not ride him. I think the front end issues could be stress from trying to offset the stifle issue, either way I wouldn't be riding him until it was diagnosed and fixed. My standard poodle has weak hind legs which are having therapy - but she had swollen front ankles and sore shoulder all of which the vet thinks originates from the hind legs/pelvic issues.

newrider.com