Loki's First Attempt at Showjumping

Clare-22

Apr 30, 2005
Berkshire
Well after last week when Loki was a dressage horse for the first time, we turned our hoof to showjumping today. Now Loki is only 5 has never jumped, and I haven't jumped for about two years, but I was assured by our YM that the first class was going to be "poles on floor" so thought it would be a bit of fun.

Well after the course builder left last night I walked the course and suddenly realised that it was not poles on floor at all! There were planks, a double, filler type planks, and the last fence in the jumpoff was the biggest fence and was a solid wall about 2.3ft, and as the class was 1.6ft I found that a bit of a shocker :eek:

After his first show last weekend he was so much more relaxed in the warmup

Jumping warmup.jpg

Jumping warmup1.jpg

Then it was time to do some jumping, the clear round class was in the school so we started in there. As you can see we discovered he has a big jump :D
Clearround.jpg

Clearround1.jpg

It was hairy to say the least, we had a pole down in each round but no stops, I was such a proud mummy.

Then onto the class, I put my number down first, no point in putting it off, and off we went! I nearly got jumped out of the saddle about four times and the professional pics could be very interesting :eek: We went clear so set off onto the jumpoff, but we were both getting tired and he knocked the double down as it was down hill and we were on our forehand by then, so I decided to pull up, I am sure he would have jumped the wall but it would have been hairy and I quite possibly would have been jumped out of the saddle, I wasn't going to push our luck ;)

Class.jpg

Class1.jpg

If we had negotiated the wall we would have come at least 3rd as everyone else got elimated, but today wasn't about prizes, I couldn't have been prouder!

Huge jump - you did brilliantly, and so did he!
Incredible at 5 and not having done it! I reckon he likes it though!:D

Aw bless his little socks! What a good boy, you must be so proud:D

You both look fantastic too, really great piccies of him, look forward to the professional ones!

unstablegifpurple.gif

But good onya girl!

Goodness but he jumps big.

Fantastic and how brave.

I take it you will start having some jumping lessons on him now?

Yippee! Look at his face & the air he's giving those fences - I think he's telling his mum he'd like to do this more often please!!

Goodness, you could photoshop some more poles in and tell everyone you have started BSJA already! Well done - he is doing great - I cant beleive that he was in horsy hospital just a few weeks ago!

Wow wow and more wow!:eek: :D You are barking, lady.:eek: Not exactly a member of the Nervous Nellies Club are you Clare.;) What a lovely boy he is. He certainly seems to be recovered now. Any signs still of the swelling? and is he still on 100 tablets a day?

I am indeed a very proud mum :D Thank you for all your lovely comments :)

Dee We have our first jumping lesson booked on Thursday :D I would have ideally liked to do it the other way round, but he was freezemarked last week so was taking it easy :)

Lucyad I know it is so hard to believe he was so poorly such short time ago isn't it! It has really given me a completely different outlook on what I do with him, because there is still a chance of it all coming back and him facing an op, I want to grab all the oppertunities as they arise now. It is quite a liberating feeling, and doing our confidence the world of good :)

Cazrider There is still swelling in the bone, but that is something that could be there for life now, he doesn't react anymore when I prod and squeeze it, so hopefully it is just a momento! He came off his 100 tablets (thank goodness!) last Saturday, so not quite out of the woods yet, but he is so well in himself I hope that the infection has now gone.

Jumping is funny thing for me, I love it, whereas I lost confidence in nearly everything else. I think it is because the horses I lost my confidence on, I never got around to jumping so luckily I only have fantastic memories from when I was younger and did a lot of jumping and still have confidence in doing it. Funny how the mind works isn't it!

good for yuo for pulling up rather than, in a way, teach him the wrong way to go. you left it before the positive experience got a chance to get negative, dso well done!
:-D
you both look amazing for anyone, never mind for an inexperienced 5-yr-old!

Goodness, you could photoshop some more poles in and tell everyone you have started BSJA already!

My thoughts exactly :D
bored2.jpg

bored.jpg

God I have far too much time on my hands. Although I'm sure theres someone out there with better software who could do a much better job than I have with paint...the gauntlet (well riding glove) has been laid!

Fab pics though, I can't wait to see the professional ones (although they won't be as impressive as mine :p) and I look forward to many more jumping updates from you guys.

:D :D :D Thanks Ceri389

Bozzy aren't we about due a Forrest update? :)

Still waiting impatiently for photographer to update his site {taps fingers on desk} :rolleyes:

newrider.com