Long boots I can poo-pick, groom and ride in, for Winter?

Mr Ed

Mar 1, 2009
Hi All,

Any recommendations. Autumn/Winter is on the approach and at the moment if I'm riding I groom, poo-pick, ride and feed in my jod boots and half chaps. But in poor weather they end up being covered in mud/yuk/poo and frequently need polishing (enter OH!). Days I dont ride I do my jobs in wellies.

I would like a warm pair of long boot that are suitable for yard jobs (we're 24/7 turnout), riding in and then I can easily clean them at home ready for next morning?

Love the luck of Dublin River Boot type things, but wonder if welly 'mucker' models might be better? Must be something suitable for hacking.

Thanks NR pepes:)

i have a pair of muddies riders and they are great, keep my feet so dry, and then after the dirty jobs i just hose them off and get on my horse :)

How about some Mountain Horse boots, they are really multipurpose. Harry Hall Belems are good too (brilliant sole!!!), I didn't suit them though (couldn't get used to riding in them, more of a jod boot and half chaps kind of person!)

Thanks all - several suggestions - I'll have a google of them all. Really like the idea of tacking dirt/muck, hosing, riding and all ready again for the morning.

Rubysmum - must come inspect/try your boots. Which do you have??

Thanks HH, really like the description of the Brit Colt; welly foot area, flexible ankle. I shall research more.....

Loopy, labsolutely love the Ariats, but given the price and my pressing desire for new leather saddle in the not too distant future, they're not within current budget.

But will bear them in mind for Christmas/b'day prezzies:D

Muck Boot "Tyne".... all the way for me :) It's like doing your horses in your slippers and your feet will never be cold again......

I loved my MH rimfrost boots, they did me many winters of good service before giving out. I've now got some muckboot tynes but find them way too bulky to ride in. great for everything else though!

Rubysmum - big enough selection for me. You have three pairs!:D

MH Rimfrost along with the muck boots look good. Just the job!

I have the Dublin River Tall boots, and yep they re brilliant for poo picking Riding and mucking out, sooooooooooooooo comfy and well worth the £100.00, I see you are from Leicestershire too, they sell them at the Horse Wearhouse at Kibworth, that is the best price I have found (hope i don't get told off for advertising!!! gulp... good Luck ;)

Thanks Ferna.

I did a bit or research at Burghley yesterday, but still not quite made my decision!!

I have never been to the Kibworth place, but somebody the other day was recommending it, so certainly need to make a trip there to have a look.

Where abouts in Leics are you? I'm about 20 mins drive south of Melton Mowbray.

Had two black toes in last four months, so steel toe caps would be very useful - particularly in the dark (clumsy boy:eek:)...

I have steel toe caps :), but as a warning if somthing really heavy falls on your foot ( I mean really heavy) the steel can crush and cut off/ trap your toes

Thanks Ferna.

I did a bit or research at Burghley yesterday, but still not quite made my decision!!

I have never been to the Kibworth place, but somebody the other day was recommending it, so certainly need to make a trip there to have a look.

Where abouts in Leics are you? I'm about 20 mins drive south of Melton Mowbray.

Im in Rothley where are you?

newrider.com