Long distance horse transport-use your trailer or hire a lorry?

K

Kate&TheHerd

Wll IF this all does happen, I may well need to move a horse about 250 miles. Now there are 2 options here:

My friend drives my 4x4 and uses my ifor williams and we go up on or own and get said horse

OR the horse comes down in a lorry in a shared load

Thoughts pros/cons and opinions please

when we got snapper, we drove the night before, stayed in a hotel collected her than came back. on the driver its a hell of a lot of driving and concentration with a trailer on the back (you can get really cheap hotels like travel lodge etc, that also dont mind you parking the trailer up)

when i bought gizmo, as i had the money, i figured for all the driving that had to be done, fuel costs, and wear and tear on the landy id pay to have him transported, i payed, 350 from east sussex (near kent) to my yard.

oh edited to say..

it was much better jumping around awaiting the arrival of new ned then the stress of transporting!

I cant decide what to do yet. will be cheaper me doing it myself. my friend who said he will drive up and back drives lorries for a living so no probs there. also transports horses for people now and again

I cant decide what to do yet. will be cheaper me doing it myself. my friend who said he will drive up and back drives lorries for a living so no probs there. also transports horses for people now and again

it will still cost what.. about 200-250 in fuel, plus the stress plus the ware and tear on the 4 x 4, sometimes its worth paying a bit more.

my lorry driver friend said it wont cost that much on fuel. its not about saving money, but it obviously it comes into it.

Just weighing things up at the moment

one thing id say against transporters, is you dont no what journey they get.. rough smooth etc..

My old cob came up from Sussex to Sheffield in a shared load with Nottingham Horse Transport. He stopped off half way so he didn't do the whole lot in one go. When he arrived I couldn'd have been happier, he was relaxed and happy without a mark on him :) I'd be a bit hesitant about doing that with Mrs P because she has been a PITA to load before so I'd want to travel her myself. JS loaded & travelled very well though, so I had no such concerns with him :)

Have no problem with either so I'd use whatever I had as I prefer to transport my horses myself (only about one other person on the planet that would be allowed to do it unsupervised!)

When I had my lorry I used that (furthest journey was from Surrey to Scotland) and now I have my trailer I use that (furthest journey was Essex to Co Laois in Ireland without a horse , furthest journey with a horse was Essex to Yorkshire)

I prefer to use transporter over a distance like that. have done it ourselves, staying overnight etc - but were totally exhausted afterwards.

hmmm not sure what to do, i think im just worried cos i have seen what my girl did in the box, which wasnt pretty. so think im on edge because of that!

newrider.com