Dismiss Notice

Hi, we hope you enjoy looking around New Rider. We are a very friendly board so don't feel afraid to ask your questions. Register now, say 'Hello' and join in the conversations.

Long reining

Discussion in 'Training of the Horse and Rider' started by Mary Poppins, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins Well-Known Member

This is so true. Yesterday I took him somewhere that I am too nervous to hack. It is all off road but there are loads of dog walkers which make me nervous. He was amazing. So calm like he goes there everyday. I wish I had done this years ago. Only problem is that my boots leaked. I need new ones.

2. Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Ziggy Learning together!

I rely a lot on voice commands with Ziggy. I am sure he was a driving pony in Ireland. My emergency stop is "Whoooa". It seems to work at any speed!

Mary Poppins likes this.
  3. Mary Poppins

How is everyone getting on with the long reining? Ben is currently stuck in walk only. We can do 30 minutes ridden work or 30 minutes long reining. I tend to ride and long rein on alternate days.

And here is a picture. I'm sorry it is huge. I have worked out that I can copy them over from facebook!

[​IMG]

sophie33 likes this.
  4. Advert Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. chunky monkey

chunky monkey Well-Known Member

Looking good. I haven't done any long reining as the girls were riding over the Easter break. I did some chain harrowing yesterday.

6. Jessey

Jessey Well-Known Member

I'm interested if the physio suggested running your reins lower for a reason? or was that just how the RI showed you? I always have mine nearer the wither, but that's possibly just from doing a bit of driving and carrying it forwards, not because its correct :p

7. Mary Poppins

There are various options on the roller so I could have the reins higher up, but this is where my RI told me to put them. She said that the reins are put here to act like the leg when riding. You can therefore ask for forward and lateral movement. Lots of people thread their reins through their stirrups for the same reason, but I didn't want to long rein with a saddle because he has a bad back.

Jessey likes this.
  8. Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Ziggy Learning together!

Great picture and what a beautiful tail!

I use the reins on the barrel when we are out and about on the roads and the heath, and on a higher settling in the field because it makes it easier for me to change direction when using them as a double lunge.

Jessey likes this.
  9. sophie33

sophie33 Well-Known Member

What a gorgeous picture. He has such a lovely dappled bum!

10. KP nut

KP nut I'd rather be riding.

Lovely picture of the lovely Ben.
    So glad you have found long-reining so much fun. You've picked it up so quickly.

The FREE site for selling smallholdings, farms and rural properties