Long riding boot question

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I have always wondered where exactly a long leather riding boot should sit - should it come just below the knee or right up to the knobbly kneecap part? I know country style pull on boots are different, quite casual and my many pairs sit below the knee mainly as they tend to drop more.
So, if one was to buy a pair for general schooling where should they sit? And, if like me you are 5ft and a weeny bit, apart from Mountain Horse who do a short leg how do you make other brands work? I sometimes see the riders in horse mags who have their boots almost coming over their knee and yet others well below? Any ideas?:unsure:

I am 5ft2 so also a shortie and struggle to get boots to fit me. I don't really judge boots by where they sit at the front or side of my leg but what they do behind my knee. There is nothing more annoying than a pair of boots that digs in at the back of your knee when you are riding. Also If you get a pair of boots that have those high dressage tops it sometimes makes them look longer but that is just the illusion of the dressage top!

I love my ariats though. I went for the regular length as the guy at the stand I bought them from at Blair said that the short length are also quite wide so they'd be too big for me! However he gave me two pairs of heel risers with them (just little wedges that sit inside the boot at the heel) that lifted my heel up enough that the boots didn't cut in at the back of my knee. Now they've dropped enough that I only need one heel riser in them.

I am 5ft2 so also a shortie and struggle to get boots to fit me. I don't really judge boots by where they sit at the front or side of my leg but what they do behind my knee. There is nothing more annoying than a pair of boots that digs in at the back of your knee when you are riding. Also If you get a pair of boots that have those high dressage tops it sometimes makes them look longer but that is just the illusion of the dressage top!

I love my ariats though. I went for the regular length as the guy at the stand I bought them from at Blair said that the short length are also quite wide so they'd be too big for me! However he gave me two pairs of heel risers with them (just little wedges that sit inside the boot at the heel) that lifted my heel up enough that the boots didn't cut in at the back of my knee. Now they've dropped enough that I only need one heel riser in them.

Ah, so are your Ariats the ones with zips? I know what you mean with heel risers - think I got some with my last Mountain Horse boots.

Mine come below the knee as they are the style cut to come over. That's just the way they are shaped.
I have Harry Hall and my gaiters make my legs look like two thin sticks!

This is the style you mean.
https://brogini.com/Default.aspx?tabid=105&ProductID=59848&language=en-IE

Mmm. Nice boots - nice price!:giggle: I would have some saving to do....

Is it my imagination or years ago were "traditional" long leather riding boots not shaped like that - and were the tops just "flat" if you know what I mean? Am guessing things have come on quite a bit...and maybe these are more ergonomically friendly / comfy?

Mmm. Nice boots - nice price!:giggle: I would have some saving to do....

Is it my imagination or years ago were "traditional" long leather riding boots not shaped like that - and were the tops just "flat" if you know what I mean? Am guessing things have come on quite a bit...and maybe these are more ergonomically friendly / comfy?

I think that depends entirely on what discipline you want to compete in, those boots NF posted have what I know as a dressage top. The flat tops are more for hunting/showing now-a-days and are possibly a bit less common. From my experience it is only a look - there is nothing more comfortable or functional about one or the other.

I think that depends entirely on what discipline you want to compete in, those boots NF posted have what I know as a dressage top. The flat tops are more for hunting/showing now-a-days and are possibly a bit less common. From my experience it is only a look - there is nothing more comfortable or functional about one or the other.

Ah - yes, dressage top. Hmm. I had some long boots with a dressage cut top but it seemed to make them too long for me, I ended up selling them onhere.

Ah - yes, dressage top. Hmm. I had some long boots with a dressage cut top but it seemed to make them too long for me, I ended up selling them onhere.

It could just be the brand, they will probably all use slightly different lengths and if you are the same height as me then they are usually too long.

I once had a pair of Equitectors - but sadly the zip broke after a short while so I returned them to Robimsons and they refunded me. They were just the right length and width, but I wouldn't buy another pair as the zips were not good.

I have the Ariat bromonts and have to say they are best everyday riding boots I have owned.

I shame faced :redface: also have the Dr Niro's not the ones on the link as I am not a flashy person but these are also lovely to wear for comps and look really smart.

Its called an American Top and its popular for dressage and showing. If you have short legs it can give the impression of length and if you are blessed with legs the impression of a classical seat. :biggrin:
You can get shaped gaiters if you find the length too long.

newrider.com