long riding boots for short people

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
ok, as determined in my other thread on what to wear SJ and showing i need some long black riding boots. prob is i've just looked at robindons catolouge and they are all too tall!!

I am a size 6 and my lower leg measures 40.5cm to the back of my knee. can't use childrens sizes as i have a widish calf (not sure where your meant to measure your calf from?)

Anyone got any ideas? the cheaper the better i'm not a cheapskate just low on cash so under £50 preferably and cheaper the better.

i know why i haven't worn long boots since a teenager now.

My legs are shorter than youre (38 cm), and I always wear Mountain Horse boots. They fit me, and they last for ever, but they're not particularly cheap.

do they do a boot that would be suitable for showing/jumping? i have only seen the trainer style and multi fabric style from mountain horse. also what is not exactly cheap? ;):confused::) lol

I'm only short (5ft2) and I have a pair of mountain horse boots that are fantastic. I think they are the sportive high riders - or something like that.

I think they were a bit more than what you are looking to spend, but they are so comfortable and they look good. Might be worth a look??

I'm only short (5ft2) and I have a pair of mountain horse boots that are fantastic. I think they are the sportive high riders - or something like that.

I think they were a bit more than what you are looking to spend, but they are so comfortable and they look good. Might be worth a look??

of to look in horsey catolouge...be back in a min....:) I'm 5ft 2 as well.

Yes, they do a couple of "smart" styles of long boots; Mountain High Rider and High Calibre, IIRC. I think the High Calibres are about £150-160, and the High Riders are about £110.

I spend a lot of time looking at tall boots that I cannot crowbar my little fat legs into *sigh*

ok i might have to keep looking. they look good but i think they'd be well over £100 maybe over £150 for some suitable for a show/SJ bit over my budget

What about investing in a decent pair of gaiters instead of long boots? I wear leather gaiters with my short boots and you have to look very hard to be able to tell the difference. Mine are Fuller Fillies due to the aforementioned fat legs, but if your legs are a bit more normal, you can get some much less expensive ones. Robinsons do some light synthetic ones that come in good sizes and are not expensive at all.

Gallop tend to be a bit hit-and-miss when it comes to quality. I have a couple of pairs of Gallop jodhs which are very comfy, but not great quality. I don't really like the back of those boots, especially with that strap - I think it looks a bit cheap, I'm afraid.

I am 5ft, by the way, and have correspondingly short legs, and the Fuller Fillies gaiters come in a really short / really wide leg length. I've just managed to convince my OH to buy me a pair of M2M Equitectors, though, so my poor gaiters may be retired before they have even broken in properly !

Edited to add: despite my slagging them, those Gallops do look quite showy. I think they would be fine for local shows, for sure, although they might not stand up to very hard use.

newrider.com