Long riding coat recommendations

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
My old wax riding coat is on its last legs. Both leg straps have been repaired so many times I can't do it any more and now the zip has gone. I think I am going to ask for a replacement for my birthday. I wonder if these days you can get coats that are less heavy but equally waterproof? If you have one, which do you like?

I don't like long riding coats and prefer a shorter jacket and waterproof full length chaps. The zip in my much loved musto chaps has finally given up and I have ordered these waterproof trousers.

They should (fingers crossed) arrive today so I can wear them later and I hope that they are as good as the reviews suggest. I have a short warm jacket for winter, but for this is too warm for summer. For summer showers when I ride I tend to just put on a light shower jacket. As I always ride with a body protector over the top, I find that this keeps my body dry so I don't need a completely waterproof coat.

I have a long riding coat. Cant remember its name id have to check. Used it lots with Chunky. But yes it is lighter than a wax jacket. However as with yours the leg straps have broken a number of times.
It has deep hip pockets but i must not put my phone in them as one day my phone almost dropped out with the position they rise up to on my waist.
I use it occasionally but havent bothered to repair the straps so have to tuck the excess around my knees and clench the saddle so that knees stay dry.
If Billy wasnt such a numpty id use it more, but somehow with him i think if he had a spook and i came off i actually fear getting hooked up with it. So i prefer a short coat these days if im honest.

I have a Country Estate long coat, far nicer and lighter than my old wax, I’ve worn it to death and need to replace it before winter, I shall probably get another the same as it’s done well and they’re not expensive. But I’ve also been eyeing up the decathlon riders poncho (it’s been highly recommended by several people who do long multi day rides), I might treat myself to both!

I have a long waxed coat but dont like wearing it. The leg loops come in the wrong place. I prefer a Musto jacket and waterproof chaps. I havent actually worn my chaps yet as have not ridden out in bad rain.
OH and I walked in the rain today (to keep fit to ride) and got home drenched. I now have a very expensive walking mac but the cuffs of my jacket protruded and got wet.

newrider.com