Long riding coat recommendations

Doodle92

Apr 6, 2021
As title. Looking for long waterproof coats that you can ride in. I can’t afford mega bucks but happy to pay a little more for something that will do the job.

I have one of these

I love jack Murphy clothing. I have a short jacket that I got for my 20th birthday and it reproofs great every year. It’s getting a little tatty inside and I need to buy a new one but considering I’ve had it over 15yrs it’s doing great!!

Reactions: carthorse
Do you go on Instagram? If you look up my friend "threebayequines" she has just 'reviewed' the new Harry Hall riding coat/jacket and I must say it looks fab.

I have a Country Estate coat, it’s been really good, I’ve had it almost 10 years and got it second hand, sadly I bust the zip a couple of years ago but I still haven’t replaced it 🙄 I really must and will probably just get another the same as it’s unusual to get such a cheap coat that’s so good!.
Champion Country Estate Womens Rain Sandringham Riding Coat https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00C09T7VM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_NRWZ078V791WYHP84ZNY?psc=1
Do you find it waterproof? I love mine ( I have 3!) But I find they leak? I'm going to proof the 2 good ones I think, I like them too much to give up on them.

Do you find it waterproof? I love mine ( I have 3!) But I find they leak? I'm going to proof the 2 good ones I think, I like them too much to give up on them.
Yeah it’s always been great, though it’s old and last winter if it was really hammering down stair rods I got slightly damp at the seams, but I painted on rug proofer and that seemed to cure it.

Reactions: Huggy
I couldn't get on with long coats for so ride in waterproof riding tights/jodhpurs (or waterproof riding trousers/long chaps) and a short-er length waterproof coat.

You may find that more budget friendly too :)

Reactions: carthorse
Carthorse, what trousers do you recommend? I have a drizabone coat but the leg straps come in the wrong place. May be I should get it out and try again? Has been used only for watching polo.

I've got some old Shires ones that have been going for years @Skib. I also have some fleece lined waterproof (may be sold as water resistant but I've never had them leak) Dublin breeches that are great for cold wet weather. I always find the leg straps on long coats are in the wrong place when I ride, and I've had horses spooked by them too which isn't fun.

I couldn't get on with long coats for so ride in waterproof riding tights/jodhpurs (or waterproof riding trousers/long chaps) and a short-er length waterproof coat.

You may find that more budget friendly too :)
I usually do that. I have short blouson jackets but they are too big now. I also have musto fleecy waterproof chaps which used to be too small but now fit so I could actually use them. I thought rather than get a new short jacket I might try a long one as I find my thighs get cold and chilblains.

@Doodle92 I find the fleece lined waterproof breeches are great for shopping chilblains, at least in part because they keep my legs dry when I wipe wet hands on them - I know I shouldn't but I do it without thinking.

newrider.com