Long term soundness, thoughts?

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
Was just thinking about this really.. Generally I am talking about OTTB. Long time soundness, would you say its the luckk of the draw with most? Or down to management? Farriery, stable man, turnout etc.

Just wondering really. Oh can all tbs hurt themselves on anything aswell? lol. Mine likes doing that.

Depends on conformation, foot care when racing and after, previous injuries, how there were trained ie hard surface riding or purely gallops based and blind luck.

Ive known TB out of racing never lame and ive known some to break down doing very little in a few years.

Injuries are just horses regardless of breed. Although TBs seem very prone both ex racers and those that have never seen a racing saddle.

I honestly believe with all horses its luck of the draw, OTTB or not.

I have 2 friends number 1 has the very best of everything for her horse and number 2 is a penny pincher who will do anything to avoid spending any money on hers. In the last 10 years 1 has lost 3 horses due to pedolositis, navicular and the last had some horrific problem with her bones where they crumbled suddenly crippling the poor mare in a matter of days, all went to AHT . Number 2 never has a sodding problem, her colt did get an intersection colic a few years ago, they did surgery, he recovered amazingly and her insurance paid out the full costs, amazing given she was insured with E&L because they were cheap.

They can all get injured - poor conformation like J had can make them more prone. You do what you can - I tried hard for his last couple of years to let him be a horse and not wrap him in cotton wool. I believe on the whole he was happy (if accident prone!).

newrider.com