Look what I found in the feed room - urgent advice needed

O

Orion's Dad

This little kitten was born yesterday morning in my feed room. His mum, one of the feral cats that live around our barn, has disappeared. The kitten was freezing cold tonight when I went to do the feeds, so at the moment it is living inside my T-shirt!!
I am going to try and feed it, but need some advice. How often should I feed it? Do I need to do anything else, such as clean it's bum to stimulate going to the toilet, or anything else like that? Also, all I have available tonight is semi-skimmed cows milk. I hope I can get some kind of formula from the vets tomorrow, but in the meantime that will have to do. Do I need to dilute it or anything? Help!!!

DSCF1280.jpg

'This little kitten was born yesterday morning in my feed room. His mum, one of the feral cats that live around our barn, has disappeared. The kitten was freezing cold tonight when I went to do the feeds, so at the moment it is living inside my T-shirt!!
I am going to try and feed it, but need some advice. How often should I feed it? Do I need to do anything else, such as clean it's bum to stimulate going to the toilet, or anything else like that? Also, all I have available tonight is semi-skimmed cows milk. I hope I can get some kind of formula from the vets tomorrow, but in the meantime that will have to do. Do I need to dilute it or anything? Help!!!''

Hi there i can help, i do a animal management course at college!

you should feed it every 4 hours unless it cries for food (basically on demand you should feed it but of not asking for food feed every 4 hours) needs to be warm tho

You do need to stimulate it to go toilet bu rubbing private parts with damp cotton wool (as if mum was licking it) keep doing this every time you feed unitl it wee's and may have a poo

semi-skimmed milk should be ok but not best for the little thing! see how it goes but if cant cope you may need to dilute it with water

Last edited:
You could do with getting in touch with your local vet.

The one thing I do know is not to feed cows milk. Ideally you need to get hold of some kitten formular.

they sell kitten milk in most of the local shops, you need to feed it regulary, my kittens harrassed their mum nearly every two hours for food, get a hot water bottle and put it in a stuffed teddy to keep the little furball warm, mykittens look just like this one,

sometimes it can take a while with the cotton wool ball to work but keep at it,

best of luck

it is so cute

Wishing you the best of luck! Definately get in touch with your vet as soon as possible!

ETA: Try goats milk in the meantime, it is milder on their stomach and put her in shoebox or similar with a nice big wooly blanket.

I have hand reared several kittens in my life. You will need to warm the milk to body temperature and feed via a syringe if you have one. Dilute the semi skimmed milk and try to get some kitten formula tomorrow. Feed every 4 hours and if it cries offer it more. After each meal stimulate him/her to toilet by very gently rubbing its bottom with a cotton wool. Keep it warm, we used to put them in a cardboard box at night with bottles filled with hot water and covered over to prevent them burning themselves (put a blanket in the box and cover over the bottle with the blanket the kitten will crawl up to the bottle to stay warm) re-fill the bottle each time you feed him/her.

Are you sure the mother has abandoned it? Maybe she was in the process of moving the rest of the litter (they will do this for safety). Anyway, I wish you luck, and hope that you managed to get formula for the kitten.

Oh poor little thing, I hope you manage to get it through the night ok and seek some proper milk for it tomorrow. Trouble is thats the chance you take - Mum may not have come back and would have died over night.

keep him her warm skimmed millk should be ok every 2 to 3 hours get cat formula if u can the toilet thing is a big one u need 2 do that every hour with body temp water on coton wool good luck its not ezy to help them survive from that age with out prof help

Aww how adorable!!

Yep get some proper kitten milk, cow's milk is very hard for cats to digest and can give the diahorrea, a little milk will be fine for tonight.

The wee kitten will need fed every 2hrs for the first week or two, then they can usually go for 3-4 hours between feeds, and around 3-31/2 weeks they should be able to go most of the night without feeding. Then by about 4 weeks the kitten can start to eat some mashed up solid kitten food mixed with some warm water or kitten formula, along with three or four feeds of formula.

Kittens can usually be weaned totally onto soild kitten food by about 6 weeks, but smaller kittens are best kept on mashed food mixed with formula until they are 7 or 8 weeks old, just to ensure they are putting weight on.

Each time you feed the baby it will need stimulaed to urinate and poop with a damp bit of cotton wool. Sometimes they can go a day or so without pooping, but once they start pooping they can go every couple of hours!

Well, he (I think!) made it through his first night. I got up every 2 hours to feed, and i'm so proud - he just did his first little poo!!!!
We are now off to the vets to get him some proper milk and of course advice on what to do.

Congratulations on your new arrival Orion's Dad!! I think you'll have to nam him the NewRider Kitten!!

Well done on getting him through his first night, and good luck at the vets, can't wait to follow his story! :D

good luck!! poor little thing! i was going to say dilute the milk as well until you get stuff from the vets. cows milk can give them terrible tummies/the runs. otherwise, keep her warm. let us know how she goes!

newrider.com