Looking for a new coat

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
Hi all, I'm looking for a new coat for my mum and wondering if anyone had seen something similar on their travels around the internet.

It's for general yard jobs, walking the dog and sorting out her chickens/ducks in, nothing too padded and thick but will be for winter and the occasional very wet summer day use. Bellows pockets or a decent pocket with a zip and at least one inside pocket. Detachable hood but not one that tucks into the collar. Long enough to cover the bum. Must be waterproof, not wax or tweed.

I've seen this one that I like the style of and I like the amount of pockets, but it's a bit too pricey unfortunately.

Anyone seen anything similar?

If I find anything I'll add to this thread @No_Angel - atm I seem to have acquired quite a few "shower proof" coats - as in the past whenever I've spent an arm and a leg on one winter coat it's not lived up to my expectations. I just go for the cheaper brands and have a few hanging in the tack room. I've got a couple of Hoggs of Fife ones that are light weight and warm enough with good pockets. (No inside ones though).
I had a MH one, can't remember the model name - now that has a plethora of pockets and is pretty waterproof - and you can ride in it too. I'll have a look and see if it's still current. They aren't the cheapest brand but if you get last seasons they sometimes come up at a good price on the internet.

Reactions: No_Angel
Have you tried Decathlon? I bought my dad a shooting jacket from there last year for Christmas. It was really cheap compared to everything else I looked at and he’s been thrilled with it.

Reactions: No_Angel
Thank you both, I haven't looked on Decathlon yet, so will have a look :D I spent yesterday looking through Amazon and Ebay for jackets and I'm surprised at how much they cost now. I've been spoilt with my tweed shooting coat, but can't persuade my mum down the tweed route,lol.

Reactions: Trewsers
Thank you both, I haven't looked on Decathlon yet, so will have a look :D I spent yesterday looking through Amazon and Ebay for jackets and I'm surprised at how much they cost now. I've been spoilt with my tweed shooting coat, but can't persuade my mum down the tweed route,lol.

I like a tweed but they are expensive. My local tack shop sells them and they are the one thing that NEVER goes on the sale rack lol

Reactions: No_Angel and Toz
I paid about £60 ish for my tweed I think (although that was about 7 or 8 years ago) and I love it, it's teflon coated and so warm and durable and waterproof. I prefer a gilet for every day use now though, so I treated myself to a new tweed gilet which I got yesterday, also teflon coated. I've been using a Rydale one or the past couple of years but I needed different pockets, so will probably be putting up one or both of my tweed Rydale gilets up for sale now as I no longer have use for them, they are so lovely I am loathed to part with them,lol. :( I've tried to coax my mum to get a tweed again today but she doesn't think she can pull one off,lol.

newrider.com