Looking forward thread

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
What is everyone most looking forward to with it coming up to the end of January? Spring time can't be far off. Can it? Aside from light nights - what else? I can hardly believe I won't be needing an endless supply of dry gloves and woolly hats. So looking forward to my first pre dinner Fosters outside (but that's quite a while off:rolleyes:). One day the mud will dry up........and when I pick feet out won't be clarted in the stuff. Looking forward to spring cleaning the tack room too. It's too chilly in there atm.
So anyway, thought I would do a thread.:DMy gang are shedding slowly too. Also be better when I can take Storm for grass late afternoon / early evening. Still too dark out there.

Ale

Feb 8, 2012
The thing I'm looking forward to the most is going for a hack with my mum for the first time next week, day after my birthday, and it's the best gift I can think of. 5 months after open heart surgery she's back in the saddle at 60 and doing better than ever! So proud of her

A bit further ahead of that I can't wait for more daylight, lots of trudging in the dark currently getting fit and I know it'll be easier to go further in light evenings!

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
What a lovely positive idea for a thread @Trewsers
I’m just looking forward to lighter mornings really and less cold/mud.
I’m also looking forward to my beautiful early summer garden, although saying that I’ve got lots of snowdrops popped up in the last few weeks, my bluebells are coming through and my hellebores, not to mention the smell from my winter flowering honeysuckle, heaven on a cold and dreary day.
@Ale so glad your Mum has made such a good recovery from her surgery, she sounds like one tough cookie, probably where you get it from.

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
That's brill news about your mum @Ale.

I'm starting to think about when I will be able to ride during the weekday, which days will I have shorter work day so I can ride before work or after. Was hoping to move boys back up to the top field end of next week, so they will be near the tack room, so I can just grab in and tack up, but ive just had to move the temporary fence up the field to expand the grazing area for the cows, so now it's not there for the horses. So I think the boys will be staying where they are. So they will get lunged everyday instead. As it takes too long to get them in to ride in there current grazing field.
I'm also thinking its 8 weeks till I start lambing, so I will at some point have to muck out the sheep shed in readiness.

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
Well, on Sunday 3rd February the plan is to get back in Ben. I am terrified to be honest and feel like I have completely lost my nerve and ability to ride. He is variable when walking in-hand. Sometimes he is fine and calm, other times he is snorting and spinning. My biggest aim of the spring is to get him back in the field and stop the endless mucking out!

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
The end of January.
For people to mind their own business, my business not be their topic of conversation, advice, suggestions and qualified in the night doctors.

So positive post, the end of January. ;)

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
What a lovely positive idea for a thread @Trewsers
I’m just looking forward to lighter mornings really and less cold/mud.
I’m also looking forward to my beautiful early summer garden, although saying that I’ve got lots of snowdrops popped up in the last few weeks, my bluebells are coming through and my hellebores, not to mention the smell from my winter flowering honeysuckle, heaven on a cold and dreary day.
@Ale so glad your Mum has made such a good recovery from her surgery, she sounds like one tough cookie, probably where you get it from.

Your garden sounds lovely:)

Reactions: Kite_Rider

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
If all goes to plan there will be some big changes for us soon, but I daren't share for fear of jinxing it!
So I am looking forward to the mass spring clean of my barn and shed, being able to pull out my chair and pony watch in the sun and to give my lot a bath because they have really got themselves grotty this winter :)

Ah yes, I have a cob that needs a bath lol not sure on Zi, he might actually enjoy one!

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Well, on Sunday 3rd February the plan is to get back in Ben. I am terrified to be honest and feel like I have completely lost my nerve and ability to ride. He is variable when walking in-hand. Sometimes he is fine and calm, other times he is snorting and spinning. My biggest aim of the spring is to get him back in the field and stop the endless mucking out!

Ooh lots of vibes for this! Hope to read a happy post about it.

Reactions: Jessey

Lissie

Jan 18, 2016
Looking forward to being able to ride after work. We're very lucky in not having much mud, this is the first winter for me with just the 1 horse and I've found it so much easier.

orbvalley

Jan 15, 2008
France, South
Hmmm.......not really thought about spring yet but now you mention it............Looking forward to Cocaïne turning 7 as my RI told me yesterday I should notice a big change in her "wiseness":p Improving my jumping position more (I jumped 1metre the other dayo_O), improving our hacking confidence, & possibly do my first ever competition:eek:

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I do think it's nice to be looking forward. Although today, I'm thinking spring is a way off. The boat crossings are cancelled and the barriers might be closed. No trip to the feed place for me then! However, it's nice to be reading all these things you're hopefully going to be doing.
The other thing I have planned and am looking forward to is making Storm an in and out around her stable. Atm the yard is too big and also not ideal with the others - so she's getting her very own garden around her stable that only she has access to and it will mean overnight she can move more and not be as stiff (hopefully). To achieve this we need to move a water pipe and fence around a grate / drain. So really a job for the better weather.

sophie33

Aug 8, 2004
London
What a lovely idea for a thread. Being able to ride in daylight is what I'm looking forward to most. But also being able to ride in the outdoor paddock which is totally muddy or frozen at the moment. Flicka is much less spooky in there, and we can look at the view while we work. Also it just means there are two schools available so less of a scrum riding. I do not enjoy cold dark weeknights where I have to ride but it means sharing with teenagers hurtling around/people jumping etc. Not the teenagers or jumpers fault but I am look forward to the increased solitude that comes with more daylight and a dryer paddock!

domane

Gracie's mum
Jul 31, 2005
I hope we have a better spring than last year. Looking forward to that lovely time before the horse flies hatch and I go to ground for the summer.

Im not even fearing the spring grass this year because we will fence off a restricted paddock for Gracie in Jack's field so she won't be able to gorge herself.

Ale

Feb 8, 2012
I completely jinxed it, my poor mums in hospital tonight with a sudden suspected infection or abscess around her pacemaker, so now just looking forward to her being better again :( and keeping my mouth shut from now on!!