Loose dogs.

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Down a road I cycle daily and that is hacked down by alot of horses there is a gypsy camp that insists on keeping it's terrier type dogs loose. They regularly run out into the road and chase me on the bike, sometimes grabbing my feet. Sometimes they hassle horses, sometimes they just sit and watch. Before today there has only ever been 2 dogs and I just keep pedalling and they give in soon enough. How they don't get hit by cars I've no idea!

The road is a 40mph slip road off a dual carriageway with no pavements.

Today I walked down the road at 2.30pm and 6 terrier dogs ran out and all started barking at me. I ignored them and they then started nipping at my feet and legs. All 6 of them! One of them has drawn blood on my toe through my shoes and I have a large bruise on the back of my calf with a small puncture wound where another grabbed me. I had no real option but to carry on walking and as much as I love dogs it was a little scary. When I'm on my bike I'm always worried about running one of them over but on foot I was more concerned for my safety!

I don't know what to do, it's not a road I can easily avoid! Do you think it's worth ringing the police? RSPCA? Any advice please? More concerned for the welfare of the little dogs but at the same time they shouldn't be running loose on roads nipping people!!

Definitely call the police, legally an owner has an obligation to keep their dog under control in a public place and the police can take action given you have been attacked and there is evidence of that on you. Don't let them fob you off saying there's nothing they can do. I'd call the rspca as well, they may be able to help too.

Reactions: Trewsers
We have a similar gypsy camp in my village, and I just can't walk past it. All the dogs run out and it really scares me. I don't know what you can do, round here everyone seems to complain but nothing ever gets done. It is an illegal camp so they shouldn't even be there.

Definiteoy contact your local police and council. I can't type what I want to really say on here, I'd either be banned pronto or arrested!:mad::mad:
Feel sorry for you, makes me so cross on your behalf.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I'm still unsure what to do. I can't ring 101 because it seems it chargeable and not included in my phone contact minutes!? And it's obviously not a matter for 999.

I have contacted RSPCA but I doubt they will even bother sending anyone out to have a look and if they do no doubt the dogs will be shut in then.

I've also contacted the dog warden to see if she can give me any advice. I do have footage of them from yesterday as made a quick decision to try and get it on film as there was 6 of them!

I wouldn't dare say anything to the owners. I usually just keep pedalling head down, hoping they don't get hit by a car!

They have absolutely no control over them, a while back one of them was holding onto my foot/pedal in his jaws and a guy was trying to call him off. He said just keep pedaling he won't bite you. Pretty sure hanging off me like that he already is biting me!!

I'll try and see if I can ring 101 from work tomorrow and report it. You only have to mention it at work and anyone who walks down that road now avoids it. Not a life for the poor dogs roaming a 40mph road.

I just thought, in Suffolk we can report stuff to 101 via their website, might be another option if you weren't able to call from work.

I just thought, in Suffolk we can report stuff to 101 via their website, might be another option if you weren't able to call from work.
Thank-you I will bear this in mind and have a look see if I can. It's been reported by the dog warden on my behalf, funnily enough they took great interest because they are always getting called to pick up loose dogs from the area. Haven't met the dogs since but I think that's just coincidence more than anything has been resolved.

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com