Losing my grazing

laz

Oct 9, 2004
Central Scotland
Visit site
Was up feeding my horses this afternoon and the farmer that owns the field walked up to where I was. He never comes near the field I have rented it for 20 years. I actually give the money to his wife. He told me he is going to be ploughing it up and planting it with kale. Then dropped the bombshell that I was to get out at around end of june he has no other fields for me. I have 1 horse, 2 ponies and have to take down my stables. I only paid rent a month ago and the wife said nothing to me. I don't live in a very horsey area either. I think am going to need to go knocking on loads of folks doors and ask for a bit of land. I am totally gutted and don't know where to start :furious:

I know the feeling.

Similar happened to me last year. I had been in the same place for 12 years and the landowner suddenly died.

I did have plenty of notice to leave the land however, so it wasn't quite such a situation as yours.

He died last August and I moved this February. I have almost finished shifting stuff.

I was really upset I loved my old field and all the neighbours etc, plus the rent was very cheap.

Believe me I had several batches of kittens and possibly a few elephant calves in the process of finding alternate grazing for the three horses.

I eventually found somewhere in January and moved in February. Despite my fears, it has all worked out really well and I am just settling into the new place which in many ways is better than the old field.

Try not to worry and stay calm. Its a good time of year at least to be finding pastures new. Spring is traditionally the time for people to start advertising.

Put the word around as much as you can and knock on doors if necessary. Ask at your local feed shops etc. Something will come up.

I know the feeling.

Similar happened to me last year. I had been in the same place for 12 years and the landowner suddenly died.

I did have plenty of notice to leave the land however, so it wasn't quite such a situation as yours.

He died last August and I moved this February. I have almost finished shifting stuff.

I was really upset I loved my old field and all the neighbours etc, plus the rent was very cheap.

Believe me I had several batches of kittens and possibly a few elephant calves in the process of finding alternate grazing for the three horses.

I eventually found somewhere in January and moved in February. Despite my fears, it has all worked out really well and I am just settling into the new place which in many ways is better than the old field.

Try not to worry and stay calm. Its a good time of year at least to be finding pastures new. Spring is traditionally the time for people to start advertising.

Put the word around as much as you can and knock on doors if necessary. Ask at your local feed shops etc. Something will come up.

I don't think he can do that to you if you have been paying regularly for 20 years. I don't think thats enough notice. You have a contract if you have been paying - this does not have to be written either - they have been accepting money off you. You will have more rights than you think. I would call CAB for their views.

I would have said at the very least he will have to give you 6 months formal notice.

It'd be nice to get that but is this the case in law? Also, even if it was the case in law you wouldn't want to be where you're not wanted and could you hang on in there anyway?

Such a sad situation. I really hope you find an alternative soon x

As far as I am aware, the law says one month whether you have a contract or not.

It does seem very unfair in this case.

On the plus side I am not sure what the law is about actually getting the horses off the land. Telling someone you want them off, and getting them off are totally different scenarios. I have yet to see any ones livestock of any sort physically evicted onto the open road. If someone did that I should think they would be facing a few legal consequences of their own.

Maybe Laz can negotiate with the farmer to keep a smaller part of the land until alternatives can be found.

It'd be nice to get that but is this the case in law? Also, even if it was the case in law you wouldn't want to be where you're not wanted and could you hang on in there anyway?

Such a sad situation. I really hope you find an alternative soon x

Yes but if she has nowhere else to go at least it gives her more time to find an alternative.

Similar thing happened to me now you have rights - we paid our field rent 3 months in advance, they told us they would give us first option if selling, they didn't , they gave us a months notice, after the initial panic I paid £30 for advice, we had just paid 3 months rent, so they had to give us a 3 months notice period from the next due date - we have 6 months to find alternative grazing which we did. We didn't have a written contract either and had been on the field for 12 years.

Our farrier rents land for his horses and has to move off for a month every year as I beleive there is some very old bye law that if you are on it for over a year with no break you have rights that they cant get you off/right to first refusal to buy??? something like that?? dont know if anyone else has heard of that law

Oh no, so sorry to read this. If you are a BHS member, you get access to their legal helpline, definitely worth checking.

Yes check with someone like this. When I enquired (can't remember who too) I was told a month because I had no contract and no rent details, it may be different with different circumstances.

My dad went down to speak to the farmer when I was at work. He basically said the same he told me. My dad did ask if we could get just part of the field and take a bit of another and we would fence it at our own costs, he basically said no. I have been down to local livery yard but it is full the now. Found a field and went to the house and got a number but the guy is busy lambing the now. I will try again tomorrow. Couldn't sleep last nite this is quite a nightmare. I know these thing happen but am just really gutted that the wife has said nothing to me and hid behind her man. This farm used to be rented by them but they bought it over and they are basically poughing the whole place up for money and I reckon property development. The old mare has been in the same field for 18 years.

Laz it's so unsettling, I hope you get something sorted asap. I know it's a thought to move your older horse but they are very resilient especially if they still have the same company around them.

Our farrier rents land for his horses and has to move off for a month every year as I beleive there is some very old bye law that if you are on it for over a year with no break you have rights that they cant get you off/right to first refusal to buy??? something like that?? dont know if anyone else has heard of that law

Not hugely different but our livery yard leaves end rigs round the fields so we can hack along the edge. One runs along behind a row of houses and this year it's been ploughed entirely, apparently because the folk living in the houses are set to claim it as a right of way because they have gates out onto it and it had been unploughed for almost three years, so every now and then they have to plough it so it doesn't change status.

i hated it when we rented, the uncertainty of it so we have been lucky enough for several years 5 years to have enough land to manage.

fingers crossed you find something suitable soon, not a very nice way to treat you, ok it's their land, they can do what they like with it, but there are ways of doing it nicely and being considerate.

Thats what me and my pal were saying. Even a letter or something sent from the wife we dealt with explaining it would of been better. Trying everywhere but a lot of the land is estate owned so rented out already. Sheep sheep sheep everywhere. We would even buy a field but theres nothing. Am going to look at another village nearby not very handy though.

I am pretty sure if you are on there continuously it forms a sort of tenancy - whether that is an agricultural type tenancy I am not sure, but worth seeking advice over.

Having said that, if you can find somewhere else, I think it would be better all around.

newrider.com