Lost Shoe Stops Play

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
Meh! Gracie has lost her near fore. This is only the 2nd time in 2 years so its not a regular thing.... and it has come clean off without damaging her hoof. I did walk around a bit in the field but it's like searching for a needle in a haystack. I dont like working them when they've lost a shoe, not even in the school, because it must feel so weird to be missing it.

So work is on hold until the farrier comes to replace. Doh!

How good is you farrier at coming out! Ours will come out within a couple of days to replace a shoe on a horse he knows is in regular work.
Have you ever thought of trying her barefoot?

Reactions: PePo
@Star the Fell Gracie was without shoes when she arrived but it rapidly became apparent that she had previously been shod and wasn't coping without a full set. I tried fronts-only for a couple of weeks but she was sore behind. At the time I wanted to ride lots so it was easier to just have her re-shod. If I'd known how little riding I ended up doing last year it would have been an ideal time to transition her....but all I could think of was saddles during that period..... and now I'm back riding lots again. It is certainly something I'd like to try again at some stage though. I've used various brands of hoof boots over the years so never say never.

Turns out farrier is coming on Monday evening to a friend's horse anyway. He offered to try and squeeze her in over the weekend but it seems silly to get him there when he's already booked to come.

newrider.com