Lovely Hack goes bad. :-(

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
Well, today being such a glorious winter morning and me having a much needed day off work, decided to go for a hack with yard buddy, we set off in the sunshine with not a care in the world, both ponio's were being fab, very relaxed and enjoying being out, when around the corner on a very narrow wooded track a man appears with two big dogs (not sure what they were but looked like a cross between Bearded Collie and St Bernards) anyway freind was in front and said mans doggys start running towards my freinds horse barking, he panicked spun around but then settled down, dogs ran back to owner, freind says shall we try again to go past and calls out to man to ask very nicely would he please put his dogs on a lead? Next thing dogs are running straight at us again, (man is on his mobile completely disregarding whats happening) freinds horse flipped and started spinning again at which point she fell off, her horse legged it past Oscar who by now was getting very worried as his best buddy had buggered off and two big dogs were yapping at his heels! He starts spinning and rearing I lost my stirrup, but was still hanging on, thought I'd got him under control as dogs had run back to owner again, was just about to jump off as was getting a bit nervous by this point when back they come, so up goes Oscar's front end followed by his back end, round and round and all of a sudden the ground came looming up at me, belss him he just stood over me as my freind was trying to chase dogs away, anyway, dogs came back, freind yelling at man to get his dogs under control, he shouts something about getting our horses under control! Oscar by now shaking like a leaf with me desperately trying to calm him down and walk back down the track with oscar doing a lovely half pass all the way, we eventually came across a man on the path who had caught friends horse (to say she was releived is an understatement!) and they all settled down, dog man had buggered off and we gingerly walked back to the yard.
Oscar has never had a problem with dogs in the past, now I'm worrying that were going to have issues from now on ..... hey ho the horses are both ok with no sign of any pysical injury and safely back in their paddocks, freind knee is the size of a football and Im ok so tomorrow is another day. Just wish some people would be a tiny bit more considerate.
Cookies and hot choclate if you read this far thank you, sorry it's so long but just needed to get it off my chest.

Poor you, friend and horses!!! Glas you all made it back to the yard ok...are you hurt??

My first ever fall was the result of a barking dog off lead on a bridleway...after seeing me on the deck owner grabbed said dog stuck it on a lead and hurried off, charming!

Hope Oscar remains ok with dogs in the future

The ignorance of some people amazes me. Lets hope that it hasn't done any lasting damage and it doesn't worry the horses when they're next near dogs.

But - glad you're all ok as could have been much worse. What a complete d***head with the dogs. :(

Irresponsible dog owners drive me MAD :stomp::stomp:

Glad it wasn't worse. Your pony should be fine with dogs in the future. Might be a little wary at first, but try and get out again where (hopefully well behaved) dogs will be to teach him there is nothing to worry about.

My horse was fine with dogs then got attacked by one!! Bitten on the chest. But he got over it pretty quick.

Glad you were not hurt to badly and not shaken up too much. You have hit a really sore point with me regards dogs. I am constantly on about dog owners who do not appear to be able to keep their dogs in bye. I dont expect them to be able to do tricks but owners should be confident that when they call for them to come they respond immediately. Where i live there are not to many irresponsible dog owners but there are a few who spoil it for others. One of my friends who has a lot of sheep out on the hills had some of them worried in the summer he shot the two offending canines and the rest of the dog owners in the area have now got the message it i sad that it had to come to that but uncontrolled dogs are a menace to people, live stock and traffic.

What a stressful hack then. Glad you are ok now though. I too have a beef about dog owners that don't keep them under control properly. Around our way what annoys me is that even though our farmer puts up polite notices about keeping them under control you still see them quite often running loose - really peeves me. I get shirty if I see any running loose as our land is all private and they shouldn't be on it half of the time - they have usually just strayed from the public footpath.
I don't think it is much to ask if you ask politely for them to be kept under control. Some folk are just wan*ers about this type of thing. It is amazing how rubbish our fellow man can be sometimes.......ok, rant over!

Glad to hear you are ok. Dog owner is an absolute pillock. I used to come accross a man on the common whos dog would run in and out of Daisy's legs barking, when asked to put him on the lead as Daisy might kick the dog the owner says "that's ok love, it will teach him a lesson" - he was another pillock who didn't realise when your ponio starts doing an impression of a rodeo horse its not that easy to stay on! :stomp: rant over...
I think a lot of people are just ignorant to the whys and wherefores of horse riding, their world revolves around them, they dont mean any harm, they are just on a different planet, if you know what I mean :wink:

Glad that you, your friend and both horses are ok - i'd report the incident though and id also be looking out for the dog owner to be having a word in his ear!:stomp:

I had a bad experience with a dog two months ago - the woman had several dogs with her - and seemed unconcered that she put me in danger. So I googled and found the site of the local authority that regulated the common.
I found there are regulations about keeping dogs under control. Also proposals to regulate professional dog walkers - and there is a number you can report problems.
I would certainly report your incident.

I decided that if there was further trouble, I would go back to the area with a phone and photo the woman or her car number to identify her. Someone from our yard has been scared off this area entirely by dogs and I didnt want the same to happen to me.

Glad you were not hurt to badly and not shaken up too much. You have hit a really sore point with me regards dogs. I am constantly on about dog owners who do not appear to be able to keep their dogs in bye. I dont expect them to be able to do tricks but owners should be confident that when they call for them to come they respond immediately. Where i live there are not to many irresponsible dog owners but there are a few who spoil it for others. One of my friends who has a lot of sheep out on the hills had some of them worried in the summer he shot the two offending canines and the rest of the dog owners in the area have now got the message it i sad that it had to come to that but uncontrolled dogs are a menace to people, live stock and traffic.

Bet he got some stick for shooting the dogs too though. I live on a farmed estate with a pheasant shoot and people just do what they like and get ratty when asked to keep their prized pooches under control. The majority of these idiots cant get the damn things to stay at heel without a lead and have no control of it.

So glad your ok. Made my heart go all funny just imagining how scary that must have been for you guys. Ignorant idiot of a man. Bet if your horse had kicked the dog he'd have had plenty to moan about.

Good luck on your next outing and fingers crossed your next outing is uneventful.

My daughter was chased on her pony whilst out hacking by a Japanese Akita, she didn't come off but pony but was chased by the dog for over a mile, and she isn't a nervous rider but said it was the scariest thing that had ever happend to her. She has since taught her pony to 'chase' the dogs, I know this doesn't sound safe, but it does seem to work. Whenever we are out hacking, and approached by dog off the lead that starts to show too much interest in the pones, she gees her horse up, aims it at the dog and trots after it for a couple of yards. This method is not for me, but a friend who I hack out with shouts at dog owners thats her horse hates dogs and has killed one, (it hasn't) but up to now dogs have always gone on the lea

Hope you both recover and it hasn't put you off! x

That's awful - hope you're ok, and you're friend too ... knee injuries are a nightmare and can cause massive problems, never quite going away.

Dog owner deserves a mouthful - what an ignorant t**t :stomp:

I had an experience several weeks ago where a dog came out of nowhere, got a fright and starting barking at my pony, who then span and tried to bolt. I pulled him up and when I turned around the dog owner had put the dog on the lead and was extremely apologetic, saying he hadn't seen us and the dog was normally ok with horses but must have got a fright as we came out of nowhere too (hedge in the way!). Makes it a lot more bearable when it's a situation that's nobody's fault.... you must have been seething!

Oh %^%$%£$!!!! How awful for you!! I'd have been having a meltdown! Well done for staying so calm about it all.

And even if the dog owner couldn't have done anything (which is rubbish!) the LEAST he could do is apologise and make sure you were all ok. How RUDE!!!!

newrider.com