Lumps all over horse!

Kirst

Sep 25, 2001
Lancashire
Visit site
One of the horses at the yard has a ton of itchy lumps all over her belly, flanks and legs. Vets been out and wasn't able to be specific about what is was. Options were protein lumps, hives etc. Didn't give any real advice as to what to treat them with - but they are not going away. They keep flaring up and currently poor horse is covered in them. Owner has tried emlimation theory, changed feed, then changed rugs etc.
Can anyone suggest some remedies which may relieve discomfort for horse, given that it's not really the weather for bathing?
Also has anyone experienced this and what was the cause?

Thanks
Kirsty.

My old horse used to get lumps like that once or twice a year, the vet never found out why. Winston lived out every day his whole life and there was no sudden change in diet or anything. It was put down as 'probably an allergy' and he used to give him a steroid injection which would clear it up. Hope this helps.

Do you feed alfalfa? One of our horses came out in lumps and it turned out to be the cause. She can have the hi-fi but cannot tolerate straight alfalfa in any quantitiy. We used a mixture of essential oils diluted in a suitable carrier oil on the lesions and this helped enormously too. Shout if you want the recipe.

lumps

Hi Kirst,

When I used to look after a horse for a friend of mine it came out in lumps just as you have described and In the same places too !!
The horse was bedded down on barley straw and after our vet took some skin scrape samples he came to the conclusion that :
Moss was allergic to the barley so he couldnt have it as bedding nor eat it either !!!!!
She hadnt had him long so we found out the hard way.
He was re bedded on shavings and was happy and lump free !!
Over the years I have come across many horses that become allergic to their bedding so its a matter of trial and error im afraid.
Hope this helps you out
Have a safe and Merry Christmas Kirst

Regards Ally :D

Sometimes lumps like that are due to stress aswell aren't they? Or am I just confused?:confused:

lumps

Hi Elfin,
Yes sometimes horses can get lumps due to stress too, but surely they would be all over the body and not just confined to the areas that Kirst mentioned.
Im still hedging my bets that its an allergy and probably caused by the bedding, as it seems to affect the areas which come into contact with the bed when the horse lays down.
Have a Merry Christmas
Love Ally :D

I have experience of this first hand, both my old horse (sadly not now with me) and young horse have had this type of strange rashy type thing at odd times of the year - in fact my young horse has just had a load - some are like weals, some are small and hard - weird - anyway - found out what was causing it - she was grazing in a load of nettles and thistles - theres nothing unusual in that as there are thistles and nettles all year round.

I guess (because shes so greedy) shes found out that there still some untouched juicy stuff at the bottom of these plants - cos no other animal is stupid enough to stand in them for long enough!!

Anyway best thing I've found is a topical lotion (human actually - takes the heat, inflamation and itching out practically overnight) - benodryl (I'm sure its that - its got antihistamine in it ) - asked my vet said should'nt cause any probs

Hope this helps

hot to trot

newrider.com