Lumps and Bumps

Appaloosa

Jan 25, 2003
UK
Visit site
High there horsey people.

My horse has, within the past three weeks been breaking out in soft lumps about the size of half a ball bearing in various places over his body. They are not painful to touch. I have come to believe that this may be caused by an allergy, or protein.

I myself have not changed his diet (he has been fed the same for the past two years) but it is likely that he may have recieved fairly rich haylage from a horse next to him. He may have recieved small quantities of oats from a sheep field nearby.

If anyone has any experience of lumps caused by excessive protein could they please leave a message.

If not, how much is an allergy/blood test to see what the problem is? Has anyones horse got an allergy to a particular breed of mushroom or grass? Does anyone now of a deficency which may cause this? Or similar experiences.

I am in the South of England, and my horse is stabled at night. He is on 1.2kg clam and condition and ample hi-fi, spread across two meals a day. He is in medium work.

many thanks

X - A - X

Frank came up in lumps when we tried him on haylage, so although he loved it, unfortunately it had to stop as it was just too rich for him. He didn't get very much - about 1 part haylage mixed with 2 parts hay - but it was enough.

Well, ros my location is the same as yours so it may be likely that that is the problem. I will try to keep the protein as low as possibl;e for a while.

X - A - X

Have any new plants started growing/blooming/seeding lately? There is a horse out at the barn who gets hives from insects, but i wouldn't be suprised to see similar problems from plant material transfer.

newrider.com