Lumps, bumps & splints

Soot

Paranoid!
Aug 7, 2007
East Sussex
Just wondering about lumps & bumps on canon bones -- Libby has a fairly large protrusion on the front of her left fore, left behind from a kick in the field. She never went lame on it and it was years ago ...

Lance now has a lumpy area on his canon bone - not like a splint but lower down and more cartilaginous - again, fully sound and doesn't care if you poke, prod, scratch, etc .... Is this likely to be a kick or a fall or can such things happen through strain (e.g. hard ground)?

He's having routine Xrays in autumn to check his balance for trimming, so I figure I'll keep an eye on it, and maybe have it Xrayed if it's still the same in a few months ...

Salsa has very lumpy legs :eek: He's only been lame once while a splint was forming, but otherwise has always been sound and not bothered about having them poked, prodded, etc. Some of his are suspected to be the result of straining his legs playing silly buggers in the field, but the majority are war wounds from getting into fights at a previous yard.

River has an odd lump on her fetlock. It's been x-rayed and scanned and the vet thinks it is probably the result of a kick, but he's baffled as to how she hasn't been lame on it - when she was trotted up for the vet, he said she was a touch stiff, maybe enough to cause 1/10 lameness, but it was only because the lump was so large. It has now reduced a fair bit and isn't interferring with joint function or her growth, and is purely cosmetic, so he said not to worry too much about it - it may be gone in a few months or it may never go away at all.
With River's, she was box-rested for a week then had the vet out for a routine appointment, so I asked her opinion on it. The vet recommended two more weeks' box rest. It was still the same after that, so I went ahead with x-rays, etc, purely because I didn't want to risk her development.

Bloody lumps.. bane of my life! I'm worried about Stan giving himself a splint atm.. charging about, overweight on hard ground.. stupid horse.

Lumps IME tend to appear and disappear on younger horses as they grow (obv with the exception of some types like splints) but it's v frustrating. Stan gave himself a slightly enlarged carpal "bobble" last year from kicking his stable door - he was vaguely sore on it for a day or two but never really lame but I was SO cross.. but it's reduced dramatically this year.. I'm sure being out a lot helps these things reabsorb/decrease..

My youngster has quite a few lumps and bumps on his legs which are various war wounds :rolleyes: He had an absolute corker on his canon bone in the winter from a kick which has reduced dramatically but you can still feel it if you poke about. TBH, I don't worry about them unless he's lame or they feel hot.

newrider.com