Lumpy Crest, painful when touched

R-D

Feb 2, 2006
Essex
Dear all,

I know that we could well be looking at sypmtoms of lami here. However have never known for any other horse to react so dramatically to the lumpy neck being touched. The mare threatened to go up and was very tactile about the area being touched again.

If anyone else has experienced this it would give me peace of mind that it is normal for this to happen or if we are looking at something other than a lami symptom. It is on the crest, slightly heated becomes more sensitive as you move towards the base of the neck (wither bound).

Her owners have just got back from holiday so she has been at grass for two weeks and put on weight.

There was a little mare I used to know at my old yard, she had lami and would almost threaten death if you touched her neck, it must have been very, very pianful for her. I hate to say that this was a very severe case where the vet has suggested putting her to sleep, it was only that she was found to be in foal that saved her really (she was unknowingly bought this way).

Thank you for your response. She had no heat in feet or pulses to feel or see in lower limb.

She hasn't sufered from lami before but her workload has reducesd alot recently and she is on 24 hour turnout, her weight is increasing at a rate you would expect for this kind of senario.

Am worried that she may get a sudden attack of it, have vet to see her next week so will air my concerns.

newrider.com