Lunan and Eva lesson with a showing Judge

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
Lincolnshire,wheres the hills?
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
My young rider for Lunan is going to compete him for me this year in working hunter classes and I am going to do inhand M&M classes with him. Hopefully I can persuade her to show Eva for me Ridden.

The judge I know through friends and she came and gave Lunan and Eva a thorough workout in ringcraft ettiquete and how to ride a ridden show, what the judge would be looking for. I feel both my ponies benifiteed Eva was in her element and was a right show off even though a bit unfitter than I would have liked. Lunan was still very novicey in his paces and the way her carries himself and his transitions but will all come with work ( and a better bit he is still in a fuller french Link) I was advised to change it to a wilkie or hanging cheek.

The judge agreed with me Lunan is much more suited to being a good WHP than a flat show pony. I think my young rider did an excellent job in the 4 weeks she has been riding Lunan. Next time I book her she is comming giving my rider a working hunter lesson with jumps at a hired venue locally for Lunan.

It was nice to see both ponies flying round the field and working hard over the lesson they both improved. And at least now my rider has an idea of what an individual show consists of and how to ride it correctly.They were both worked in walk trot canter and a full gallop :)

I didnt get any pictures as it was raining but will try to for the next lesson.For me watching it was insightful to what is required at the next level up from local level.

For a first lesson I was very happy to see both ponies improving throughout the hour and half.

Last edited:
What a wonderful insightful lesson, I'm sure you learnt lots about what they're specifically looking for and seeing both of them improve within their first lesson is fab!

newrider.com