Lunge line options

HorseyGurl

New Horse Owner
Aug 13, 2005
Florida, USA
Has any one ever tried using a retractable leash made for large dogs as a lunge line? I was walking my dog the other day on her retracable leash and started contemplating whether if you could use one of these leashes as a lunge line. In theory I think it might make it a bit easier to lunge a horse and not have to worry about the line dragging on the ground or tring to gather the line in one hand while holding the whip in the other while still getting the horse to move forward.

Anyway, I haven't tried doing this, but wanted to hear other peoples thought on this idea. :)

I can't see that you would have the same 'feel' on the retractable dog lead that you have on the lunge line. With a 'regular' lunge line you can do half halts etc, I can't see it working as well on the lead.

Also , if for whatever reason you had to drop the leash then it would 'roll' back up into the case and the case is quite bulky and could end up hitting the horse :eek:

I think I've seen these made for horses.

I wouldn't want to use one. There should be a light tension on the lunge line, but not a pull in your direction. If you've got a retracting mechanism pulling on the line, there will be a light pull towards you all of the time. With rescue dogs that weren't very leash trained, I had some problems on occasion with a retractable leash--they just kept coming closer to me, trying to relieve the pull. With a horse who knows that a pull on the line is significant, I'd imagine you'd have the same problem. Obviously you can lock it, but that negates the whole point! :)

newrider.com