Lunge poles

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
When lunging, what pattern are you most likely to lay poles out in? and why do you find this the most useful pattern when lunging?

Pictures/sketches welcome because I can be a bit dim with written descriptions on stuff like this :p

This is normally me default pattern
images.png

Last edited:
I don’t lunge in a circle as have been advised not to by the vet. However when I had exercises from the physio for Raf’s back I would lay the poles down the side of the school with alternate raised ends and have him going round the school on the end of the lunge line. Of course I had to do a lot more running as I had to move with him instead of just standing in the middle of the circle.

I don’t lunge in a circle as have been advised not to by the vet. However when I had exercises from the physio for Raf’s back I would lay the poles down the side of the school with alternate raised ends and have him going round the school on the end of the lunge line. Of course I had to do a lot more running as I had to move with him instead of just standing in the middle of the circle.
That's my size of circle ;) :p I've always used the whole school or better yet a field

I was lunging over the summer with 8 poles spaced out equally round the circle.
Alternating between one raised, one on the floor.
Chunky was fine with it but he's good with lunging. But Billy used to make a meal of it. He was fine with poles on the ground but cat leaped the raised poles even though they were barely off the ground. After a while he got the hang off it and started to go much smoother over them. At the moment I'm not really lunging and if I do it's without poles at present.
Lunging in the field I quite often lunge over a large area rather than on a circle. When chunky was coming back into work years ago after his fracture I was told by the vet to keep the circle large as it puts less stress on the joints.
Will be following with interest as I'm looking for pole work layout ideas to keep chunky going over the winter when I can't drive him so much.

Reactions: Jessey
I never stand in the middle of the circle because we don't make those.
I also use all the school and go up and down the quarter line.

I have a bunch of different types but for the most part prefer
shorter ones.
I have poles spread out all over straight ones curved ones
fanning out from trees.
OK I have a POLE FETISH:rolleyes:..

I have a small 40 ft pen for liberty and cavaletti and that works good.
I really like to play at liberty

It had full size poles in it but I dragged it yesterday and Ive asked my husband to cut some of them for me later today and ill set it up with shorter poles.

I do like these ends... the6y are very stable.

IMG_2594.JPG
The long poles are good to spral around trees or out in the open because you get multiple widths to use for walk or trot
depending on where you cross

IMG_2612.JPG But I still kind of like my little ones.
IMG_2607.JPG
Now that the weather has FINALLY changed thes have to also be mowed in re set but this kind of zig zag is fun too
IMG_2605.JPG

Reactions: newforest
newrider.com