Lunge/Simulator

Jambo

Dec 22, 2014
Hi all,

A quick update following my 'I'm new' thread - I've now had two lessons, the first a group lesson and the second a private lesson at a different school. I really enjoyed the group lesson but the school did most of their private lessons during the week which I can't make because of work so I booked a private lesson at a different school which was great and I really liked their setup. The new school seems to have more bigger horses to choose from and an indoor school.

Anyway in the lesson at the weekend we were working on the rising trot mostly. I had a go at this at the group lesson last week and the RI said that I was picking it up quickly as did the RI at the weekend. I am 'double bouncing' quite a bit though and although they have said it will fall into place soon I can't help thinking that my learning will be quicker by booking a simulator session somewhere. I've also read forum posts about lunge sessions and how they can help.

My question is, am I jumping the gun? Should I just keep going to my lessons in the hope that it will click into place soon? I don't know whether the RI will recommend these other lesson types or whether I should just ask the question.

Any advice appreciated!

It sounds like you are doing brilliantly to be honest! Rising trot after two lessons with only some double bounces, suggests you have good balance and are confident.

I do think your decision to have some private lessons is well worth it as you get completely tailored feedback which will help you to focus on, and correct, your key difficulties. Having a simulator lesson may also be useful as it allows you to focus on 'you' totally but I would caution against wanting to progress too fast; a simulator lesson might be an informative additional tool but in my opinion there is no substitute for hours in the saddle. The key to being a good rider is to develop a good seat; in other words you need to work on building up the key muscles in the right way (tone but not tension), your 'feel' for the horse, your balance even when things go pear shaped etc. Take your time and you will learn how to ride in harmony with your horse. As a learner it can be very tedious at times though! I can remember endless circles and figures in trot before I was ever allowed to think about canter. I hated it at times but am grateful now.

Regarding lunge lessons I think they can be very, very useful as long as the instructor knows what they are doing. I had a couple of lessons where I was basically put on a line and left to plod round with my arms out to the side. I was given no feedback, no variety of exercises, no explanation of why I was doing this o_O Needless to say, I didn't stay there very long! The famous International Schools such as the Cadre Noir and the Spanish Riding School all put their riders on the lunge for hundreds of hours before they let them ride independently so lunge work must be good for the seat!

I don't know whether the RI will recommend these other lesson types or whether I should just ask the question.

Your RI might recommend these lessons but even if they don't, there's no harm in asking if this is something you want to try. I don't think you are jumping the gun as such but I would suggest using lunge/simulator lessons to improve your technique rather than the speed at which you progress (if that makes sense?!)

P.S. Unfortunately, now you've been bitten by the horsey bug, you'll be obsessed for life so there's no rush, really;):D.

Last edited:
I so wish that riding schools would teach 'feel' I know my old RI started out teaching me to feel what the horse was doing underneath me, as in which leg/pair of legs was moving and I did quite a few lunge lessons too, to help with my seat. I'm still a pretty rubbish rider in every other respect but once you can feel what's going on under you your half way there.
Glad you are enjoying your lessons and I would definitely keep up with the private lessons over the group ones as you will get personal attention and hopefully learn quicker that way.

Regarding lunge lessons I think they can be very, very useful as long as the instructor knows what they are doing. I

I have loved the "good" lunge line lessons I have had!:D

I would suggest using lunge/simulator lessons to improve your technique rather than the speed at which you progress (if that makes sense?!)

I totally agree.

P.S. Unfortunately, now you've been bitten by the horsey bug, you'll be obsessed for life so there's no rush, really;):D.

LOL your sooooooooooo right!!:D:D:D:D:D

I think double bouncing is often caused by a lack of strength in early lessons, until those muscles get used to performing that specific movement in a controlled way, have you found muscles you didn't realise you had yet? ;)

It sounds like you are doing brilliantly to be honest! Rising trot after two lessons with only some double bounces, suggests you have good balance and are confident.

I do think your decision to have some private lessons is well worth it as you get completely tailored feedback which will help you to focus on, and correct, your key difficulties. Having a simulator lesson may also be useful as it allows you to focus on 'you' totally but I would caution against wanting to progress too fast; a simulator lesson might be an informative additional tool but in my opinion there is no substitute for hours in the saddle. The key to being a good rider is to develop a good seat; in other words you need to work on building up the key muscles in the right way (tone but not tension), your 'feel' for the horse, your balance even when things go pear shaped etc. Take your time and you will learn how to ride in harmony with your horse. As a learner it can be very tedious at times though! I can remember endless circles and figures in trot before I was ever allowed to think about canter. I hated it at times but am grateful now.

Regarding lunge lessons I think they can be very, very useful as long as the instructor knows what they are doing. I had a couple of lessons where I was basically put on a line and left to plod round with my arms out to the side. I was given no feedback, no variety of exercises, no explanation of why I was doing this o_O Needless to say, I didn't stay there very long! The famous International Schools such as the Cadre Noir and the Spanish Riding School all put their riders on the lunge for hundreds of hours before they let them ride independently so lunge work must be good for the seat!

Your RI might recommend these lessons but even if they don't, there's no harm in asking if this is something you want to try. I don't think you are jumping the gun as such but I would suggest using lunge/simulator lessons to improve your technique rather than the speed at which you progress (if that makes sense?!)

Thanks for the detailed response - all makes perfect sense and yes the horsey bug has definitely bitten!

I'll mention it at my next lesson and see what she says.

Reactions: Em 1
I so wish that riding schools would teach 'feel' I know my old RI started out teaching me to feel what the horse was doing underneath me, as in which leg/pair of legs was moving and I did quite a few lunge lessons too, to help with my seat. I'm still a pretty rubbish rider in every other respect but once you can feel what's going on under you your half way there.
Glad you are enjoying your lessons and I would definitely keep up with the private lessons over the group ones as you will get personal attention and hopefully learn quicker that way.

Thanks for that, definitely going to stick with the private lessons - it felt like we covered more in the half an hour than what we did in an hour at the group lesson.

I think double bouncing is often caused by a lack of strength in early lessons, until those muscles get used to performing that specific movement in a controlled way, have you found muscles you didn't realise you had yet? ;)

That makes sense and yes there were a few aches in some odd places the next day!

Reactions: Jessey
Whether lunge lesssons help at the beginning depends on the horse and instructor, I cannot run far enough to teach trot led so use lunging apart from one horse who will carry on trotting round the school off my voice. However I am not convinced the lessons on a simulator will help, they offer no feel of temperament and although they will mechanically mimic paces they give little real feel for movement. They are far better at a higher level where you need to achieve finesse!

Whether lunge lesssons help at the beginning depends on the horse and instructor, I cannot run far enough to teach trot led so use lunging apart from one horse who will carry on trotting round the school off my voice. However I am not convinced the lessons on a simulator will help, they offer no feel of temperament and although they will mechanically mimic paces they give little real feel for movement. They are far better at a higher level where you need to achieve finesse!

Thanks for that. Sounds like the best thing to do is have a word with the RI about the lunge lessons and have a think about the simulator stuff later down the line.

Are the lunge lessons normally one-offs in between normal lessons or would you generally spend a bit of time doing it?

newrider.com