Lunging and Standing

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
One open to the floor for chat.

Mine lunges in all three gaits, changes the rein across the circle, comes to me to stand. To her coming in to stand means we are done. She gets praise and we finish the session.

One of the exercises in this book I have currently suggests asking the horse to stand out on the circle. I think this will be something I would like to try. The bhs taught me the horse should stand out on the circle. You approach them and turn them. You don't as far as I can remember change the rein through the cente? But they won't be the only people who suggest this.

I do wonder why I haven't ever taught her to be frank. A lot of trainers suggest it. Why has it taken this book to notice my hole! So if take nothing else from this trainer it will be to try the above. :D

Last edited:
Im the opposite to you. Mine will stand out on the circle and turn on command to change rein when asked whilst out, I don't walk to him to change. He won't come in across the circle to change the rein though.

I've messed mine up:oops:
She was taught to stand on the circle and await the change of rein or end of session. But since she's been with me I've "let her:oops:" come into the circle to me to stand and halt. Never a good idea nor should they IMO change reins without a stand, halt & turn around from the trainer. I believe it encourages all sorts of bad behaviour which mine is a fine example of:eek::p

Jess will stand in or out, a halt doesn't nec. mean we are done or that we will change rein, I can then ask her to come across the centre to change the rein or walk to her, or have her walk to me to stand, the one thing I don't ever allow is for her to come across the circle with any speed, when young she used to like to charge me when lunging and play chicken when she thought she'd done enough, so I've always instilled that walk is the only way she can approach me. As a rule I only lunge with 1 rein, though do sometimes go for 2, perhaps that changes the things you do?

Reactions: orbvalley
I only change the rein through walk as well. My other chap was really good at changing in trot and canter when loose.
But mine isn't quite so um flexible shall we say. For a cob she is but if you are in the way you are bumped into.

I won't be trying the stand yet. I do want to finish the book first. If I can't manage anything in it, I can do that part :D

Stand on the circle won't mean we are finished, it will be a transition like the others.

@orbvalley I wouldn't say you have messed up. Can a horse not learn to stand on the circle and beside you before they change rein if that's what it means?
I want to teach mine to stand on the circle as a transition. It won't mean turn or finish.
In theory.:p

I have had go at this over two lunge sessions.

I set her up for success because she wouldn't know I am expecting something completely different. I initially led her round and asked her to stand at E. During the session I asked just before E, she took until A to stand because she was wanting to come in and had left the outside. The next time she got it.
Changed the rein, not a clue. I hadn't set her up, I figured she would get it. I had to actually go behind her to get the stand. Totally the opposite of the book of not going behind. But she wasn't wrong she just needed me to do something familiar.

Next session one rein stands at E, the other she still needs me to go behind. I might try half halt next time. See if that helps her out.

Last edited:
I know nothing about lunging but I do it when I have to and now have to as part if gingers training.

I was never taught and have never read up how to do it.

We lunge in all three gaits. I raise my hand and he halts on the circle (or if I have a lunge whip as I dont always use one I just raise the end so it is up straight.

He halts before I change the rein. He halts and turns to me when we are finished.

Ziggy stops on the circle. We're not very good at changing rein on the move but he likes to come in for a head rub.
We probably change the rein on the move because I haven't up until now stopped her on the circle. Stoppling means we are done.
It's going to be interesting to teach her something new. :)

Whiskey stops on the circle, she doesn't tend to turn in.

Having said that, the drawback is that when I ask her to change direction (which I do from the inside of the circle as I free lunge), she often turns her bum to me. Some people have told me that is the incorrect way for her to change direction and it means disrespect, she should face me at all times. Honestly I don't mind that much because she has turned around like she's been asked. I do find she tends to change by turning in to face me on days where she is really attentive, other times when her attention is wandering or she's having a bit of a fizzy day she is more likely to turn away from me

newrider.com