lunging/ joining up?

CrazyMare

Jul 28, 2005
Uk,devon
I just wondered about this as I am worried I am confusing my horse, I used to join up with my chap but now I have moved him to stables where i have to lunge him often with side reins on and really get him working for about 10- 20 min,( he is very over weight and needs to slim down) i feel really bad when he is chewing(well, he tries but his mouth is shut with the flash nose band:rolleyes: ) lowering of the head and sending out all this body L and I just have to take no notice of him and drive him on, it breaks my heart because he has this very confused expresion on his face as if to say, what Have I done to deserve this!? usally in the wild they have to do some thing pretty naughty to have to be sent out and driven on, am I just being stupid or do i have a point here?!:confused:

There are better ways to get him to loose the weight without risking his confusion. Regular lunging on hills is a great way, as well as free jumping or even free lunging - which you can use very similar to join up since body language plays an important role.

Horses are very adaptable creatures. If you must continue with this training program, he'll learn that this is just another task he must learn. Be fair and accept the same of yourself. Whenever you can, throw in some play time so he knows that time with you isnt all work and no play.

:)

newrider.com