Lunging - questions

Vik2

Feb 4, 2005
Scotland, UK
Hello have just stared lunging and getting into a fankle !

I think I have got the hang of the right rein etc but

1. is it best to lunge with full tack i.e. saddle ?

2. is using the bridle ok so long as you loop it through the other side?

3. is the general idea getting them to work from walk to trott using your voice - trotting on and walking to start and then canter?

4. is it ok to ride afterwards?

5. how long is ok? 30 mins or so ?

6. Oh and how big should the circle be - 20 m ?

Thanks ! :) :) :)

1. People may use a saddle if they are getting a young horse accustomed to it or if they are affixing training aids (like side reins) and don't have a surcingle. Otherwise, there's no advantage to using the saddle. If you do use it, be sure to have the leathers and stirrups tied up well.

2. Attaching the longe rope directly to the bit (as you do if you are longeing with just a bridle) is always a risk. Attaching it so it goes through both sides of the bit can keep it from pulling through the mouth, but it won't alleviate the problem of accidentally damaging if things go wrong. If you don't have a cavesson, a halter will do.

3. Yes, longeing can be helpful in improving response to voice aids. It can be used to exercise/school a horse, to loosen them up before work, and to work on the communication between horse and rider.

4. Yes, if the longe lesson was kept short enough that he isn't fatigued.

5. Longeing is physically and mentally tiring, also the constant circling can put strain on a horse's legs. 15 or 20 minutes may be plenty. I'd never longe for more than 20-30 minutes.

6. Depends on the horse's level of training and the gait. Walk isn't normally an issue and trot is usually fine on a 20m circle, but you may need to walk a small circle inside to allow a little extra room for the canter if the horse is unbalanced or if he is just learning.

kedwards said:
2. Attaching the longe rope directly to the bit (as you do if you are longeing with just a bridle) is always a risk. Attaching it so it goes through both sides of the bit can keep it from pulling through the mouth, but it won't alleviate the problem of accidentally damaging if things go wrong. If you don't have a cavesson, a halter will do.

Really dumb question but how is it risky if things go wrong...? Thanks for your response to this.

how is it risky if things go wrong...?

If you were to accidently drop the line, or have him rip it out of your hands, if he gallops off and standing on it whilst it's clipped to the bit............... :eek: !

A headcollar done up so it's snuggle fit is fine - I lunge all mine off a headcollar.

I usually lunge in elesticated side-reins. They go from the saddle girth straps on eeach side and clip to the bit. They don't need to be tight but really help if the horse is prone to turning in.

Also, lunging isn't as easy as some people make it look. In fact, if you've got a stubborn horse who refuses to lunge, or one that doesn't understand, you need to be very skillful to sort it out. It would be best if you have someone to show you how to do it.

OK thought it might be something like that. I've had a lesson in it and a person from my yard has shown me but it is using the bridle.

Not sure then if I should just use his head collar now - would this elimate any risk.

I bought a full sided cavesson but it is too slack and I need to put extra holes in it for it to work.

Thanks for the advise.

Last edited:
My boy is really unfit and quite fat and I only lunge him once in a while, but because I can only ride weekends and need to keep him fit I want to lunge him during the week, how much is safe to start off with as he's not used to it and I don't wont to ' over work him'? would twice a week be to much?

My boy is really unfit and quite fat and I only lunge him once in a while, but because I can only ride weekends and need to keep him fit I want to lunge him during the week, how much is safe to start off with as he's not used to it and I don't wont to ' over work him'? would twice a week be to much?
You could lunge him everyday with no problem, it's the length of time doing it that needs to be careful. If he's fat and unfit, 10mins will be plenty. Make sure his circles are as big as possible (i.e at the very end of the line) and stick to just walk and trot to begin with.

Get a routine going - start it walk and do a couple of halt/walk transition laps then change rein. The same on the other rein. Then do some trot/walk for say 5 laps. Then change the rein again and do the same. Finally, as a cool down, repeat the halt/walks on each rein. That will do him for the first few times then slowly build up the trotting time. I wouldn't have him doing more than a few laps without a change (i.e transition) - he'll just get bored. The time spent changing the rein will give him time for a short breather. It might not seem much, but it's hard (and extremly boring) work for the horse.

newrider.com