Mad weather

It’s horrible out there. Sleet and scarily high winds. Boys stayed in to be wormed anyway but when I went up this afternoon I was met with “don’t even think about it” and he made it clear it was back to bed and tea and he was not stepping a foot outside!

Reactions: Jessey
Gosh stay safe @Trewsers, as always the weather didn’t hit as predicted and it’s so much worse for you.
Thanks, I'm a bit shaken, went out there just now with mr trews to feed (Chloe has hardly any teeth and can't be left without a bucket feed and I needed to check everyone had enough hay) but just a split second after I came out of Zi's part of the byre a ruddy slate crashed to the floor, yikes! I had my riding hat on, but it still frightened me, you know, the what ifs...........I'm obviously keeping visits to a minimum but they do have to eat, so am wishing I had put more food in this morning, as it's really unsafe out there. Knickers to mucking out too! We've lost a lot of the limestone pointing too which is sad, my lovely byre is going to be like a skeleton if this carries on! We have some big fence strainers that we had hammered in via a tractor with post knocker, and they are actually waving about:eek: which is a worry. Mr Trews garden fence is waggling and looks set to take off. I will be glad when tomorrow comes and just hope everyone is okay. Mackeral and Monster are in the barn with eyes like saucers.

• Wow
It’s scary out there. Multiple reports of trees down which isn’t a surprise. I have shut Robins window (barn with middle isle and windows out the other side) but nothing much else I can do. It was windy even inside the barn hence shutting the windows on the bad side. Forecast says to die down at about midnight. Yo on site, I hope the roofs don’t blow off but I’m a big big scared.

My brother went to go to work at 6am came back 5 minutes later tree down across the road 100 metres away.

It has been blowing a gale for hours and it is snowing out there currently. Big flakes swirling round.

Nasty here today. I had to turn round and go a different way to the yard because there was a massive tree down completely blocking the road - going to need chainsaws and a tractor to shift that - and the wind was horrid. Light snow. Luka was very good about leading out with everything blowing everywhere, but the tiny lead rein pony was less obliging and clearly would have preferred to stay in 🤣

Phew, no damage. We now have ice. It was a lovely bright sunny morning but now snowing as I have just got home. He can stay out for a bit!

It's so quiet here today and peaceful compared to yesterday. I couldn't hear much up here in the office, we have velux windows and they were shaking. We have quite a bit of damage in places but everyone is okay, that's all that matters. The yard is frozen up and iced over, and I did try and pre-empt this by asking local feed place for bags of grit, but there's none on the island yet. I think the girls are taking it steady on the ice though, I think they are just glad for the peaceful day and the sun on their backs. Zi has gone rolling and nibbling. Everything is back to normal. I can relax now. I am aching through being so tense yesterday.

My legs are aching walking through the snow. Walking up and down the steep banks is a killer. I always tense up as im so worried about falling. I got my walking poles out this morning to help steady me.

My legs are aching walking through the snow. Walking up and down the steep banks is a killer. I always tense up as im so worried about falling. I got my walking poles out this morning to help steady me.
Yes I worry about falling too. I am like a wobbly penguin today the yard, it's taken me ages to get sorted. Can't move at my usual quick speed.

Amazing how some crappy weather can make a stable so much more appealing! He came in a couple of hours early yesterday and today without any protest at all, and settled in to his box straight away. \he may be cob and half native but he clearly has a big dose of princess in him :rolleyes:. Mind you I could be the pot calling the kettle black since I'd dug out my fleece lined water resistant breeches, thermal hat, gloves - I rarely wear gloves - and had a synthetic down jacket under my yard coat ad over a jumper!

I got soft and changed chunky from rainsheet to thicker rug with neck peice this morning. I put Billy in his rainsheet. He did look a bit cold without a rug.

You lot definitely got the brunt of it, I had a job interview yesterday so had to be out early and everything was frozen solid, and a dusting of snow as I drove out of town, but it was oddly warm (just wore a body warmer).

As the day went on it got worse with wind and rain, the hours drive home as it was getting dark was no fun, my little car getting battered.

Then doing the horses in the dark was interesting as they were all down the back refusing to come up, carried buckets and hay down for them, then I stood in the big shelter and realised the gutter was moving and scraping on the tin roof, took that down and Jess promptly came down happily. She’s been around tin coming off twice before and that elephant never forgets!

newrider.com