Made my decision thanks to you lot. Turned out I knew all along

LokiSofi

Oct 11, 2003
New forest
Thankyou to those who replied to my post about how do you choose.
And especially to the one who said if the owner said they were sold which would upset me most etc I've made my decision. Turned out to be easy and now subject to collection (week after next eek ) I am the proud owner to be of Harry. :) :)

Harry is 13.2hh unknown breeding. He is 16 years old and had a horrendous life up until 2 years ago. He spent his life being driven and beaten with 2 others. All had the same name. Then his owner became ill and instead of accepting help he locked them all in a barn with no handling etc for 2 years. Eventually the ponies got homes. Harry has had a lovely owner the last couple of years who has built his confidence etc. He's now only nervous for short times. But if upset will go and put himself at speed in the corner of his shelter.
Very sweet but shy. Despite what's happened to him has never once kicked or bitten.
Have attached a photo. Scars clearly visible.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 42
Aww glad you have made your decision. Harry is lovely. Sometimes the ones who have had a crap life are the ones that give the most back ;)

Oh what a lovely little man, so glad he found you although I was secretly hoping you'd go for the Haffy mare, but then I am a little bit biased
:)

Congratulations, I'm glad you made your decision and glad it was Harry because it sounds as though he deserves it! He looks lovely, looking forward to the updates :)

Reactions: LokiSofi
Thankyou. When it boiled down to it I still prefer my rescues and projects to anything else. Harry was the one I was repeatedly drawn back to and is a project but old enough for me to start under saddle and that's what I enjoy taking a horse everyone's given up on or who has had a horrific life and doing the work myself to get them either ridden as a hack or in the dressage arena (did I mention he moves beautifully?)
And kite rider. Haffi mare almost happened until her owners informed me she still had wolf teeth they wanted me to remove and get her back checked (she was loan only) I was concerned i would get it all done and then she would take her back. Also they informed me that she tried to kick their 7 year old son in the field the other week. He was also knowhere near her but she walked over to him and span round on him. A rescue I can overlook things like that but not in a horse who's just being a bad tempered mare as I have a 4 year old daughter and she likes to come help so no way could I take the haffie on. Too many reasons against her tbh.
Another photo or 2 of Harry.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Trewsers
Considering the life he's had he is so genuine no nastiness if he's scared he will go into flight mode but generally if he trusts you he will just stand no matter how scared.

newrider.com