Magnetic boots/wraps/rugs

Jay.o

Aug 15, 2002
Berkshire
Visit site
Who here uses magnetic therapy on their horses? For what problems do you use them and how often/for how long?

My little man has a very bad tendon injury and stabled 24/7 currently. He has to be bandaged and not yet allowed out to walk in hand (fingers crossed next scan shows some improvement!). During treatment my vet pointed out mild ringbone in his hind left and as of yet (touch wood) not causing issues. But I am aware of it. He also has bad feet, they are v. brittle. After a series of 3 absesses in 6 months when I got him, his feet have regrown and are looking quite alright. So he has a few issues at the moment :redface:

I got some magnetic over-reach boots to help his feet and the growth of some foot. I was thinknig along the lines of maybe getting some wraps for the ringbone/tendon injury as a semi preventative to try and hold the ringbone as much as possible.

How long can I put them on for? I know they're not designed for 24/7 use, but what about over night, or just during a day - say 6-10 hours at a time? I saw someone on here use them for 10 minutes twice a day with benefits... are they really that effective?

OK, I did have the Bio Flow turn out rug, it was great but idea in summer, So I sold that and brough the turn out boots (They look like brushing boots) he has them on every day from 0630 til 1830 at night I do not take them of for riding in I just add front brushing boot as well. At night when stabled he has thermatex leg wraps (only in the winter as our 24/7 in summer)

The question is has this helps YES, last winter before I got the boots when he came out of the stable he would drag his hind legs and scuff the front of his hoofs. He does not do this now and picks his feet up.

I was told by the bio flow company that you can put the boots on the hind legs during the day and swop them to the front during the night.

Hope this helps

I have the Premier Equine magnetic rug.

I bought it as Izzy had a stifle problem and the osteo thinks he had a past injury there and as he gets older it may need watching. I thought if I got the rug it might prevent further problems or reduce them. Only had it 2 months and have been away a month of that so not sure if effective yet.

Izzy wears the rug when I am at the yard - can only have it on for four hours and it is only for use in stable or box. I use it to help him warm up before we ride, then to help him cool down after. He also travels in it - they are supposed to reduce stress and tension when travelling. He isn't a bad traveller but he does seem happier loading and travelling when he has it on prior to loading and when in the lorry.

If you want to look at the rug - check out Premier Equine - I got my rug for £52 as it was half price.

Thanks for the replies :)

Tiga, the rugs have always appealed to me, but the cost has always niggled at me. But £52 is very good for the PE ones, I'll have to wait and see what comes up on their site and ebay :D. I would have to do what you do and just have it on whilst I'm there. He has to come out of his box while I muck out etc, so could change it then. Likewise, with the boots and wraps, I could un-bandage, magnetic-boot-up and they'd be on for an hour or so.

OwnedbyChanter, seems like you have had a real difference which is exactly what I want to hear :D When we had the really cold snap I really did notice a difference in his movement. He is so stiff in his back leg in the morning when cold despite being bandaged and noticably better when it got milder throughout the day. Stabled 24/7 so not as if he could walk it off and stretch it out or anthing.

I'm going to look at bio-flow now and see what they're like too. Then I think it'll be trawling through ebay shops for slightly discounted ones :eek:)

He's going to be a right sight and people will thing I'm nuts if I change rugs, un-bandage to re-boot up and over-reach boots on too just for standing at the end of the barn for an hour or so whilst mucking out and brushing :D:D

newrider.com