making some progress

CharliesAngel

Jan 15, 2010
so i have had my lovely highland pony for almost 3 months and what a gorgeous boy he is, inside and out <3
My lad is just turned 6 and having had 6 months off and not done much before, is green but so so genuine and easy going :)

The only ‘high maintenance’ thing about him , is his weight :( He was so obese when i got him and I had the vet and farrier out a few times as he was really hobbling. Id brought him back into work, slowly, which suited us both as he had had all winter off, getting fat ;) and Id had a nasty fall back in March, trying a pony for sale, which had hurt my back and wrecked my nerve :( However his legs filled and his hocks swelled up and within days he was looking crippled. It looks like he probably did have a touch of lami, coupled with the white line separating in his hinds. He was xrayed and thankfully they were 100% clear. The vet thinks the swelling and white line thing was actually all down to his weight. He was 640kg and only 14hh. So he had a strict regime put in place and Im lucky that my ponies are at home and although i have rubbish facilities , I have been able to give him a turn out pen as he hasn’t been allowed on grass at all. Everything is weighed out to the last gram eek. Of course, critical to losing weight is exercise so as soon as he was sound I was able to start building him up again.

I have to say I have felt really crap about keeping him shut in and he is so good natured about it, bless him. However.. it’s finally paid off as he has lost a whole 10cm off his girth and is down to about 480kg. Which means we can have the saddle fitter back out now too :D And he is feeling so much better undersaddle too.

this is him now
DSCF0787_zps92f352e1.jpg

and the lovely boy has even been persuaded to ‘jump’, me doing this with is his testament to his easy going nature given he hasn’t ever jumped and how I felt confidence wise when /I first got him.
callumjump1-1_zpsc51f745e.jpeg

.....and one of my shetlands joined in too. She was unhandled last Nov as a 3 year old eek. Never even had a headcollar on. She’s been a lot of work but it’s really paying off now although Im not sure I’ll ever trust her 100%.
tireejump_zps4b7e06e3.jpeg

That's brilliant, well done.

Love Shetland too - looks like she is really enjoying herself.

Eeek, 640kgs at 14hh! My friend's 16.2 Irish draught isn't much more than that. Well done for getting all that weight off him - quite a challenge! He is gorgeous and it looks like he's got a good jump on him. Your shetland is cute, what do you mean by not trusting her - as a ridden prospect?

OMG at the fall off the pony you were trying too. What happened? I am SO wary of the fact that I've probably got on nutter horses in innocence before - sellers lie!

thanks :) helen no he is a highland. I had a welsh d until recently and she was a lot lighter built than him, he is a tank, mind you I know some D’s that are too... my D was the other way though, a bit of a poor dooer so this has all been new to me as even my shetlands don’t put on weight like him.
squidsin i think she will always be wary around people she doesn’t know and i don’t trust her to keep her back feet on the ground ;) Re the fall, well yes i was completely and utterly lied to by a seller and one minute I was trotting along quite happily and the next i was hanging off sideways going flatout and had to bail. I dont actually know what the pony did to unseat me, it was such a slick move and there were no warning signs at all, other than the owner told me a heap of rubbish to excuse herself from riding him first for me ;) That was a highland too eek.

Reactions: squidsin
Oh he's just lush, I'm a sucker for a Highland myself. Well done on the weight loss too that's one hell of a drop in just three months and I completely empathise with you on the delights of micro managing a good dooer, so bloomin hard especially if your not used to it.

Reactions: CharliesAngel
Lovely pony and you have done a great job shifting that much weight, especially at this time of the year. I am sure now you can ride him it will get easier.

What a shock having an experience like that trying a new horse out. I onced ended up in A&E after a similar episode. My seller used every excuse in the book not to get on and ride first too!:mad: I have never, ever got on a horse since if the owner can't show me it ridden first, I would rather walk away from even the most perfect looking prospect TBH.

Love the little shiteland - aren't they such great characters?:D

Reactions: CharliesAngel
He is lovely!! Well done on getting his weight down. I am sure you will find the more you ride the leaner he will get.

newrider.com